Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GW vanishes on minimise - forever!

If I hit the minimise button on GW and switch to another desktop, when I try to go back to GW I can no longer see it. I know it's running, because I can hear the music, but I cannot see the program on my screen. If I tell CX Games to reset all bottles the music stops, but when I start GW again, I still can't see it.

This happened to me before and I had to completely reinstall CX Games to fix it. Is there are easier way?

Rodney

That sounds odd. I know that there's an issue minimizing from fullscreen on the mac(as well as switching between windowed and fullscreen mode). However, at least after a reboot of your Mac the game should come back on the next start

Sorry Stefan, I shoudl have been more clear - this is on Ubuntu. In the end the only way I found to fix it was by re-installing GW from scratch - nothing else would bring it back on to the screen. I suspect it may have something to do with having Compiz enabled while switching desktops.

I was experiencing the same thing however I turned off Compiz when I wanted to game. You can actually get it back sometimes because according to TOP it is still running so I have been able to switch desktops or such and get the screen to come back up. As well, I do not believe it is related to just Ubuntu because I experienced it under Ubuntu and OpenSuse 10.3 and 11.0.

Sincerely,
David Tenney

Edit:
I bet we have the same brand Video card. I didn't post this because the NVidia driver is still being updated so I dismissed it as a video driver issue.

Nvidia latest driver as of 07.2008.

Compiz could (wrongly) store the minimized state of the GW window and bring it up minimized on the next start of the game.

Might be. The only way I could get it back was installing a whole new Gw.dat file though, which is really weird.

Hi, I just want to bump this thread, because the same situation has just happened to me as well, identical to Rodney's last year.

I run on a MacbookPro 10.4.11, and have been running Guild Wars for, quite some time now, and very well on COG.

However, a few days ago, while minimizing the screen and trying to open the window on another desktop (using desktop manager) my window went onto a "third screen."

I can hear the game running, as I hear the sounds from the log-in screen.

When i use the "all windows" option (brings all windows into view) I see a white box come from the corner of my screen and it comes onto the screen, but when I click it, it goes back into the corner.

I'm currently reinstalling GW now, since Rodney said it fixes it for him.

But as he asked, is there an easier way? is there an easier way to reset where the window is located?

Thanks for the support!

I got the same problem, I was wondering, did reinstalling it work out in the end?

I am having the save issue. Trips out to the browser with a '/wiki' command are common for me, but it never seems to work. I have tried rotating to another Compiz desktop and running the browser, but the same result occurs.

I have not, however, had to reinstall GW each time. I go to the System Monitor, see gw.exe 'sleeping', and kill the process. After that, I can restart GW normally.

It seems, at least in my situation, that Ubuntu cannot "unsleep" the program once it loses focus.

Shane
Ubuntu Karmic

Ya, with cxg 9.1 NO compiz, I see the update screen then it minimizes and vanishes for ever. Listed in processes and I can hear the sound from the login screen, bit it snot on the taskbar or anything like that.

Linux ws001 2.6.32-24 #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 19 01:38:40 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu Lucid

Not tried any thing with it yet.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidkNUZ2hMUng5V0dlUEFBTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9