Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Running 2 Windows of Guild Wars on 1 computer?

I wanna move some items from an old acct and I'm trying to figure out how to run 2 windows of guild wars each playing a different acct.

Anyone know how? Or does anyone know of a better way to transfer items between accts?

There's probably a better way, but personally I run one copy of GW in Crossover and another copy in Wine.

How do u run it in wine?

Use two different bottles. Install in one bottle A. Start the game normally, configure it to run in a window. Create another bottle B. Use Programs->Run Command to run the gw.exe from the bottle A directory in bottle B. No need to reinstall or copy around files. The game will think that it hasn't been run before, create some registry entries, then start.

Stefan Dösinger wrote:

Use two different bottles. Install in one bottle A. Start the game
normally, configure it to run in a window. Create another bottle B.
Use Programs->Run Command to run the gw.exe from the bottle A
directory in bottle B. No need to reinstall or copy around files.
The game will think that it hasn't been run before, create some
registry entries, then start.

WOW! Thx!

Hmm... Thats weird. When I try to start the game again it says "Repairing data archive"

You probably want to create a separate install of guild wars in each bottle. Otherwise the gw.dat file could get messed up.

I think when I did this, and just launched gw in the other bottles, it would copy whatever it needed and there wasn't a lot of copying and it would work. I don't think I created to separate bottles with 2 separate complete data files.

Well. I just figured since there are only 3 files, gw.exe, gw.dat and gw.tmp that there would be file locks on the 4gb file and whatnot.

The only way to do this that I have been able to get to work, is to use 2 bottles, and two installs of GW, one on each bottle. The reason for this is due to file locking. If you try and do this with 2 bottles and one install, the second bottle will get errors on use of the file saying that the program is already in use.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic0s3dFBwVkJYUTVzcndadSIsImdkcHIiOjB9