Guild Wars Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CX9 and the Programs Menu

Hi,
I recently downloaded CX9 to play Guild Wars on my MBP running Snow Leapord. I was able to create a bottle and the game runs pretty good, with minor bugs (some windowed modes aren't occupying the screen properly, minimizing is a no-no, and some others that escape me at the moment), but there is one that is bugging me the most (no pun intended). I can't seem to get the program to stay in the program menu. I browse to it fine via the Run Command dialog from the Programs menu, but when I use the Save Command to Programs Menu nothing happens. I also tried Refresh Programs Menu in the Configure menu to no avail. I'm not sure how to fix it. I see that CX9 is somewhat different then it's predecessors in that it doesn't create it's own folder in the Applications directory in OSX. Any way to fix this annoyance? Thanks, also, other than that, I'm glad to be able to play GW on my MBP! Thanks!

Hi,

Well I had the same problem as you have.. Only on linux...
But I Couldn't find a fix... So I looked in crossover in the tab where those short-cuts already exists...
Then I copied the whole line in my menu manager... So I have added it there manually and that works for me.

Maybe you could try this also?

This where my 2 cents.

CrossOver Games 9 should still be putting its launcher mini-applications into ~/Applications/CrossOver Games. Notice the "~" in there. That means your home folder. So, this is a different "Applications" folder than the global one at the root of your boot drive.

If ~/Applications/CrossOver Games doesn't exist, then that suggests that CrossOver's preferences are somehow messed up. Go into the preferences dialog, on the System Integration tab, and make sure the Programs Folder is set to an appropriate folder within your home folder. You need to have write permissions to that folder (without authenticating as an administrator). If you want to use the default location, you may need to create the home Applications folder and the CrossOver Games folder within that.

Once that setting is configured properly, then try Configure > Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu.

If you still can't get it to work, please open a support ticket. It's easier for us to track the issue that way, and you can rely on getting a response. There's no guarantee that our staff will see forum posts or, if they do, remember them as other things compete for our attention.

Thanks for the replies. I will try those, before I do I try the Clear and Rebuild Programs menu option, I am curious if this will cause me to reinstall my game/bottle?

No, Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu doesn't affect the bottle.

In the bottle, Windows programs typically create entries in the Start Menu. Those aren't directly usable by Mac OS X's Finder. (You can't launch a Windows shortcut file as though it were a Mac application.) CrossOver translates those Start Menu entries into the items in the Programs menu, which actually correspond to launcher mini-applications in (your home folder)/Applications/CrossOver Games. These launcher mini-applications is what allows you to launch a Windows program from the Finder or the Dock and to see the running programs in the Dock and the application switcher (Command-Tab). But they don't really contain anything important. They are just pure front-end conveniences.

Anyway, Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu simply rebuilds those launcher mini-applications from the contents of the Start Menu of the bottle. It doesn't change anything in the bottle.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRlVDQkI5UUNoR20zZ3hCayIsImdkcHIiOjB9