Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

HL2 not opening

Whenever I try to launch Lost Coast or just HL2, it starts out fine (white screen), but as soon as it gets the main menu page (when its still fuzzy and its loading) it closes out. Steam has even quit on me now too. I just played it a couple days ago, its been absolutely flawless up to this point. Don't know what would cause this.

There's a known issue (discussed in another thread in this forum) where an update from Valve caused HL2 to no longer launch in CrossOver Games 7.0.0. The unsupported release of CrossOver Games 7.0.080415, available to CrossOver Games customers from the My Download section of their account page, does allow HL2 to work.

Ok, thanks. I am actually using regular Crossover Mac, but I guess the update must affect this too. Should I switch to crossover games then?

In general, we recommend CrossOver Games for games. 😊

However, when there's a problem, we recommend whatever works best. 😉

At this point, I believe the unsupported release of CrossOver Games is what works best for HL2.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWXROcmNZdkVKRVhxUFo0QyIsImdkcHIiOjB9