Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Orange Box won't install

I have purchased the orange box hard copy and am trying to install it with crossover games linux 64 bit. First i select steam from cd then when it asks for the product location (default: media/cdrom0) if I stick with the default location (or media/cdrom) it comes up with an error saying that I probably don't have permission to access my drive. If I manually select the setup.exe steam installs fine but it wont install the games (freezes when creating portal) and steam claims to be downloading halflife 2 and episode 1. I am very confused and would appreciate help.

Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
AMD Phenom 2.5 x4
4GB Ram
ATI 2600 512MB

As an emergency solution(no idea what causes the original cdrom problems), you can just let Steam download the files over the internet, if your internet connection allows you to download a few gigabytes of data. If Portal is not in the "my games" list, you may have to register your CD key using the "register a product"(or similar) entry in the Steam menu

Found a solution. After Steam got installed I quit the installation. I then ran steam (my games were activated but not installed) and chose to install them through steam one at a time as a download. Steam created the directories etc. that it was freezing on. After creating all games I started The Orange Box installation over again by manually selecting setup.exe for crossover and then reinstall from the loader. It is now installing correctly as I type this and seems to have no problems anymore (though I still can't use media/cdrom to install.)

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that the games are constantly updated, thus the files on your CD are most likely outdated, and Steam will download huge amounts of data anyway. I don't know how the cd vs download ratio is when you install TF2 these days though.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR2trTlpmQncycDY2MkJQViIsImdkcHIiOjB9