Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Advanced graphics settings and DX9

I'm using the latest nightly, have upgraded to Mac OS 10.5.5, and I've enabled the hidden DX9 routines with Regedit. I'm also using a freshly installed Steam version of HL2. Here's my problem. I launch the game with the -dxlevel command to set it to DX9 mode, then relaunch without the command, as instructed. But anytime I try to alter any of the advanced graphics settings from what they default to (say, to turn VSYNC on) the game defaults back to a lower DX level, either 8.1 or 7.0. I then have to resent it to 9 again, and the whole process starts over again. So I cannot seem to run the game in DX9 and make any changes to the advanced settings.

Please keep discussion of the nightly builds to the Advocate forums. Thanks.

What computer are you running?
If nothing seems to work in changing to DX9 with the nightly build, then just try the normal CO games 7.1.1.

Well, I've discovered that quitting and restarting HL2 restores the DX9 status, but changing the advanced settings still causes it to revert back to 7 or 8. Strange. I'm running on a MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600 512 MB. Plenty of power. But I think I've got the game running pretty well, so long as I leave the advanced settings alone and don't dare turn on HDR.

My next question is how do you enable the DX9 routines?

You have to use the run command (within the bottle you want to change, of course) and enter "regedit", then navigate from HKEY_CURRENT_USER to Software to Wine to Direct3D and then change "Use GLSL" to anything but "disabled." I usually just change it to "enabled."

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWVR5WnpRWUtUZEt4eGJUMyIsImdkcHIiOjB9