Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Half life 2 crashing to desktop using 7.2

I updated to Crossover Games 7.2 yesterday and started up my saved games on Half Life 2 and it consistently crashes to the Steam app after about 10 minutes of playtime. Nothing obvious going on, game just freezes, shuts down and I am returned to my Steam account "My Games" page. I can restart it and play it again for another 10 minutes without any problems.

Am likely to downgrade to 7.1 so I can continue to play (didn't see any big changes for this game between 7.1 and 7.2) - just wondering if I am the only one running into this or if it is more widespread

Some people have reported the same with Team Fortress 2. Which graphics card do you have? Maybe some regression slipped through our fingers during beta testing ☹️

Can you open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com so that we can further track this issue?

Nope, running into the same issue myself here. Almost believed it to be hard drive related (I've been having other complications, long story), but the exact same issue is happening to me here as well. Sometimes it's less than 10 minutes, and the odd time, a little longer. Probably downgrading as well.

This is running on a unibody Macbook Pro, with a 9600M GT and 2.4GHz processor.

I'm using the lastest nightly build since the current stable version has problems with my dual monitors setup. I got the crashes too in HL2 single player, maybe it is the nightly build... don't know.

Also it doesn't load if i set 1920x1200 resolution. It could be related to my dual monitors setup too (this resolution isn't supported by my second monitor): indeed i can play in 1600x1000 which is a resolution that both my monitors can support.

Apple Cinema Display 20" 1680x1050
Apple LED Cinema Display 24" 1920x1200

I have a Radeon 4870

Try to set Filtering Mode: Trilinear, i played HL2 single palyer for a while without crashes. Before i had Anisotropic 8x-16x.

I have the same problem.

I am a new user to the crossover(games)-platform since a few days.

I've started playing HL2 again, as well as some mods. (CS Source and Day of Defeat Source)

The mods work fine, but when I play HL2 the game crashes after a while (not sure if this is ten minutes exactly).

I use the recommended graphics options, with trilineair filtering.

I am using a iMac 2.6 intel dual core system with 2GB ram and a Radeon Pro 2600 265MB card.

Any tips?

I am having the same problem. Updated to Crossover Games 7.2 -- am having no luck starting the game or connecting to steam -- cannot play the game at all.
Am using an IMac -24" - 10.5.6 - Nvidia geforce - 7300 GT - 128MB v-ram - 667 MHz - 500GB - available 277GB -screen resolution 1920 x1200, millions
Can anyone help?

I too am encountering the same problems. Between 3-5 minutes (i've been timing it) the HL2 singleplayer crashes to desktop. So far I've tried switching between DirectX 8.1 and 9; windowed/fullscreen; and the GLSL registry key; all to no avail. I'm running with the recommended video settings, but increased the resoultion. I have a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory; OS X 10.5.7; nvidia 8600M GT w/ 256mb. Has anyone found any fixes yet?

When it runs, its runs great, but restarting the game every 5 minutes, is a drag.

laxonator, since you have a Nvidia card I doubt you suffer from the X3100 regression.

What happens if you load a game and just stay still? Does it crash from plain rendering? If that remains stable, please try to run around in a smaller area in the map, to do some gameplay without triggering loads of additional map parts. E.g. from the "water hazard" start point to the place of the first physics puzzle.

Stefan, I just did as you suggested, the results:

1) I remained still for 27 minutes, no problems.
2) I then ran around the part in Route Kanal, at the first machine gun turret where about 10 troopers storm you and there's a tank firing rockets. I killed all the troopers, broke everything I could find with my crowbar, shot every barrel, threw every chair, dodged rockets, and spent all my pistol ammo for about 10 minutes. No problems.
3) I began sprinting into the next area of the map and within 10 seconds, the game crashed.

Following the above, I then tried inching forward through the map, I made it a bit further than above, but then turned a corner, saw a lonely looking NPC in a concrete tube and the game crashed, about 1.5 minutes in.

You're definitely on to something. Also, fyi, I had already disabled the option to put hard disks to sleep when possible.

I just tried reverting back to version 7.1.1. None of the above problems occurred. I was able to play consistently for a while. Must be something in the new version.

Ya, it seems the crash occurs when the game loads new parts of the map. This can either be the root cause(e.g. out of memory), or just the symptom of some different problem(e.g. memory corruption that leads to a delayed crash).

Can you try to run in a window and offer a system monitor and and process monitor and watch
(a) the total amount of free/used memory and swap in your mac
(b) the virtual memory size of the half life 2 process

I doubt (a) is the problem. I think HL2 wants around 256 mb of memory. While I think it consumes 768-1GB of mem at high graphics settings, modern macs have 2-4 GB which should be plenty.

(b) might be more of an issue. If the virtual memory size approaches 4GB before the crash, the process is running out of address space. Note that virtual memory is a software construct. If the VIRT size is 4GB this does not mean the game consumes 4GB of RAM. The virtual memory addresses are used to map allocated RAM, but also to map e.g. GPU resources or on-disk files to a CPU accessible address. Due to some memory management differences between Windows and MacOS and Linux we have to block big areas of address space from being used, so a big game like HL2 that keeps loading more and more data over time can run out of it.

Can you recommend a mac utility to monitor virtual memory usage as game play progresses? Also, the same problems are occurring under v 7.2.1, I've seen some others in the forum are encountering the same problems.

I have the same problem. I'm not using Crossover Games for long, but I had exactly the same problem with World of Warcraft under Wine. The problem disappeared few versions back (3-5 cca.).

The crash occurs in a bit different manner for me. The game doesn't crash immediately, it becomes extremely sluggish and then graphic corruption occurs and the game crashes. In the Wine+WoW combo it sometimes took my whole system. It seems like the game starts to wait for something every frame, then some timeout occurs and the game goes down.

laxonator, you can use Activity Monitor (in /Applications/Utilities). In the main Activity Monitor window, you can show the Real Memory column (ignore VSIZE). In the bottom part of the window, you can select the System Memory tab.

One trick is to identify the HL2 process. On the Mac, all the Wine processes are called "wineloader". There will likely be one with a great many threads (~50). That's probably Steam. Then, there might be one with ~20 threads. That's probably HL2. Also, HL2 will probably be the one taking the most CPU, while it's in-game.

OK, I've been tinkering and I submit the following:

Running under 7.2.1 I'm able to load HL2 to the home screen. Then when I load a saved game, I get the following errors:

Failed to lock vertex buffer in MeshDX8::Lock Vertex Buffer

followed by a runtime error:

R6025 - pure vitual function call

Oddly, the above is a different problem than I am used to having, perhaps it was triggered by trying to run in windowed mode? Usually, it will run for a while, but then crash when I move to a new map area.

7.1.1 continues to run everything fine.

Ya I can confirm a habit of all source games crashing with no error and me having to escape using shift-alt-apple-r. How much VSIZE should source games be using, I'd like to to know if it is the cause of the crashes. How much VSIZE would an app crash at? As well I just had my video card (Nvidia 7600 GT) replaced, turns out it was faulty. This is the only bug that occurs with Source games. I have 2 GB of RAM and I always have free memory according to my gauges.

Hey guys, I had the same problem with all these crashes of half-life 2 on startup and after map loading, but now I guess i know what the trouble is... I don't know if that might be useful, but still... yeah and by the way excuse my crappy english =)

So I figured out that all these crashes have something to do with "model detail" and "texture detail" settings. When both these settings are set to "high" (which is recommended) - game crashes to steam every time you try to load it from the home menu. With "model detail" set to "high" and "texture detail" set to "medium" - game starts and works fine untill next map loading - then crashes to steam. If both these settings are set to "medium" - everything works just fine even with "shader detail" and other video settings set to "high".

Specs:
iMac 24"/2.8 Ghz/2 Gb DDR2/Radeon HD 2600 Pro/OS X 10.5.7/Crossover Games 7.2
Game runs in 1920x1200, DirectX 8.1

1 to 18 of 18

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM0JVdVlDUnQ5RXA0YkVuZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9