Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

HL2 Chpt. 1 loading screen fail.

Through the helpful posts here I managed to make it to the HL2 splash screen. I click new game, and chapter 1 begins to load, but invariably the game crashes back to Steam during the loading. Very anti-climactic. Anyway, I'm running it with -novid, -console, and have tried -dxlevel 70, 80, and 90 just for kicks; 70 allows me to make it past the loading, but then all I get is black screen accompanied by that strange man's voice telling me to wake up (I don't know the HL story yet). Then it crashes. Any ideas?

I'm running: CrossOver Games 7.2.1 on a unibody Macbook, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, OS 10.5.6.

The other Orange Box games work fine(ish). Oddly enough, the HL2 demo ran flawlessly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I just installed the Orange Box today, and Crossover yesterday. The latest versions of each. Anyway, the same exact thing happens to me when I try to start the first level of Half Life. I have a different computer though, a unibody Macbook Pro, Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT, 4 gb of RAM, and 2.5 ghz.

I wish the rest of the Orange Box worked as flawlessly as Portal :.

Please try going to the advanced video settings and turning texture detail to low. If that doesn't help, you might also have to turn down other video settings, like the resolution.

Also, we recently released CrossOver Games 7.2.2 which compensates for some memory shortages we've been seeing with Half-Life 2-based games. That may help.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQnlFSmN4ZkxFV3BoWXJCNyIsImdkcHIiOjB9