Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

So I opened up HL2 after updating to 7.2.1 and tried to start a new game. It starts to load but then quits and gives me this error:

Failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer

Followed by this error message a few seconds later:

[i]Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Program:...ram files\steam\steamapps\username\half-life 2\hl2.exe
R6025

• pur virtual function call[/i]

Any ideas?

Try to lower the resolution. If that helps, you're running out of faked video memory, maybe because the card detection fails. You can override the amount of video memory we fake with a registry key(HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Videomemory) I think. Set it to e.g. "512" to fake 512 MB of vidmem. (It is a string value, not a DWORD).

I am having the same error or just crashes back to Steam. With Crossover games 7.2 I managed to install the orange box from discs (The only issues were needing to change the Keyboard layout to U.S. in order to create an account on steam, and having to eject disc 1 with a terminal command in order to finish) - I loaded Half Life 2 - set it to 1680 x 1050 and changed to anisotropic filtering and 4x AA (I have a Apple OEM 4870). The game ran fine for 5-10 minutes walking about the station areas until there was a cut seen - after playing this the game quit to steam. Will 7.2.1 I can't get past the black loading screen - it gets part way then crashes. I tried turning off FSAA and choosing trilinear filtering but no change.

I also tried Portal for the first time with 7.2.1 and this locked up at the main menu with the sound looping. I force quit and even after quiting Crossover games the sound was still playing - I managed to find a wine related process in activity monitor to kill it.

In other bottles I have Max Payne 2 and Tomb Raider: Legend running just fine.

I tried the game several times again and it was just crashing back to Steam from the loading screen when starting a new game. The console error messages all started "com.codeweavers.CrossOverGamesHelper.Orange Box.Steam/.Steam[11472] wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000022 at address 0xd408a37"

I tried switching the keyboard layout in OS X to "US" and surprisingly the new game started and I played through a few minutes until after jumping out the window I got a loading message and had another crash back to steam with the same error.

Well, I lowered some of my settings (I had anti-aliasing on) and now it loads all right. The real problem is that it keeps freezing after about 5 minutes of game play.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia1djOWdlVHFDOVJXVEtXdyIsImdkcHIiOjB9