Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Which bottle is best for Half-life 2?

I have installed HL2, Lost Coast and Episode 1 & 2, all in a win2000 bottle. That was what Crossover 7.1.1 chose by default. I have discovered now that I can also create winxp bottles. Would I get better performance in those games if I installed them all in a winxp bottle? Will I notice any other change?

Thanks for your answer!

You won't notice any difference. The only difference a bottle makes is which Windows version it avertises. There's no difference in code that is actually run, with very small exceptions between win9x and win NT based windows versions.

E.g. if Steam drops support for win2k some day, you'll need a winxp bottle to get past the version check - but beyond that there is very little difference.

I think we've upgraded the steam bottle to Winxp in cxgames 7.2. If we didn't, we certainly should think about it for the next release. I don't know how long win2k support is going to stay around, but winxp support will stay for a while for sure.

Thanks! Then I don't have to reinstall my games. Thank you by the way for this great product, Crossover Games. I can play the whole HL2 series in the native resolution of 1440x900 with high setiings with my iMac C2D 17" X1600. The frame rate drops to 15-20 in big areas and I can't turn on all the settings or choose the highest but I couldn't imagine it would run so well before I tested Crossover. I hope you keep adding support for more wingames.

Human
Sweden

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1l6clduVmFKNXptSlJCYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9