Half-Life 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mac vs PC version

Since Steam made this available for Mac... is it better just to use that version? Or does PC version run better on a mac using the CrossOver games?

This really depends. If you have an older computer CXG is the way to go, if I remember correctly, the ported source games force the user to DX9. Valve also seems to be having some problems with the new 10.6.4 update.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT, and this is not supported on the Mac version of Steam's source games, even though the games play just fine through crossover.

I have an unsupported video card, (quiet old), but the steam version works quiet decently (even though cxg works better)

robin wrote:

I have an unsupported video card, (quite old), but the steam
version works quite decently (even though cxg works better)

😉

Steam won't even let me try to play the mac version of source games. It gives me a warning message saying basically "sorry, your video card is not supported."

I'll stick with crossover.

I tried both using an older macbook pro. The Mac version was very choppy and some of the animations were absent. The crossover games version worked well.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ0diOWFoeENtTXF1eVhkZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9