Half-Life Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Versions problem

First, I find this software absolutely amazing, thanks! I'll definitely go buying it once the problem I mention below is solvable.

The only game I play is the half-life mod "Natural Selection", and being able to play it on my new iMac would allow me get rid off the old PC completely.

Steam and/or HL installs went fine, graphics are OK, single player mode runs fine. However, I got the following problem when playing online via Steam: the moment I try to connect to a server, I get a refusal because "Your version does not match the servers".
This applies to both the Natural Selection mod as well to Half-Life itself. In fact I checked that the Natural Selection version indeed is the latest (3.1). and also I tried copying the whole HL subdir tree from my working windows installation into the new location, with the same error. I also made a fresh install by not installing HL directly, but just installing Steam first and then installing via Steam the game HL (and later Natural Selection by hand).

I it may well be that this is more a problem of the Steam/HL installation and thus may also affect the Counterstrike mod. Did anybody else encounter such a problem?

Actually I found a workaround, namely if you start the multiplayer game directly from the servers panel in Steam (rather than from the panel of the running game itself), then it connects fine. Probably this is a Steam related problem.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYVFaSHhBVnVuenpXSzhVWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9