Half-Life Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

resolution stuck

for some reason i can't get any HL1 engine games to change resolution. the games runs perfect except the resolution dropbox in-game is empty and nothing i've done seems to be able to change it.
trying to force the resolution by using the steam commandline feature affects nothing - except generate an errorlog

Error:CFileSystem_Steam::GetLocalCopy() failed with error: *SteamGetLocalFileCopy(100,l×c{,0x7907284c) failed with error 8: App provided bad argument to Steam API
Function trace:
CFileSystem_Steam::Mount()

i figured out by checking on a windows machine that it stores the resolution in the registry and tried making dwords for ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth in hklu/software/valve/half-life/settings and ../valve/half-life/cstrike/settings. i've tried updating my nvidia video drivers to 9746 and uninstalling/reinstalling crossover. i'm new to linux so at this point i'm pretty much stumped.

i'm running ubuntu 6.10 on a
Athlon FX-55 with a
Geforce 7950GT

EDIT - figured it out. i failed to mention before that i was running 2 monitors in twinview, the only metamodes i had available were all 2x wide (e.g. 3200x1200 - 1600x1200 + 1600x1200 side by side) so they weren't an option, by adding single monitor metamodes i can now choose them from the drop-down box in the game and it runs perfect - note that i don't necessarily have to switch to this mode. the desktop can remain in a double wide resolution, while counter-strike can run windowed at the resolution of one monitor, a little finangling with move w/ ctrl+arrows allows placing the window to cover the whole monitor.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFdrU2dkVGNSQWVoOXdyTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9