Half-Life Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CD Detection and Update problems

I just recently purchased Half Life and the Expansion from a Goodwill in the area. Installed Half life with no problems, starts up just fine, but I have problems obtaining updates, and whenever I attempt to start the game, it does not read my CD. I looked in the other Cd Detection topic, and looked at that website, but I couldn't find a No CD patch.

Assistance is much appreciated

I assume you are talking about the older version of Half-Life (in other words, the non-Steam version). As far as I know the older version does not have any CD validation. Once you have installed entered your CD key you should not need your CD anymore, unless of course you want to hear the CD audio tracks.

Of course, as usual, there could be multiple versions of the installer CD out there, some may have copy-protect, some don't.

In any case, if there is CD copy protection, it simply won't work. Copy protections use very low level calls that currently do not work under CrossOver 6.0.x. We are working on getting some types of copy protection working, but that will not be implemented until the 7.0 timeframe. (read as 6+ months from now).

Unfortunately, whenever I boot the game and attempt to start a new one, it asks me for the CD

Have you installed the latest patches? Try installing the Half-Life version 1.1.1.0 patch.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV1Q1dlVQUlFxTHNMekNHRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9