iTunes 4.0 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

My experience w/iTunes and Ubuntu
Anonymous

I installed CrossOver Office 4.0 demo and installed iTunes on Ubuntu
(using an IBM ThinkPad T42 w/intel i8x0 sound).
After I installed, I had no sound (and it stayed at 0:00 when I tried to play the sound).
Changing between ALSA and OSS drivers didn't fix it, but uncommenting the lines:
"LockFormat" = "16"
"LockStereo" = "1"
"LockRate" = "48000"
"FullDuplex" = "0"
in the ~/.cxoffice/dotwine/config and using OSS allowed sound to play.

However, there are a few bugs that I haven't seen anyone else talk about that I found:
1) iTunes runs inside another window, which is sort of annoying
2) iTunes won't recognize mp3 CDs that I insert - perhaps this is related to Ubuntu's
use of udev and hal, since this didn't happen when I tried on SUSE.
3) The menu fonts are an awful font that looks like it's from Windows 3.1.
Also, iTunes only works w/oss sound, with the above option, and gnome font server disabled. Finally, the Gnome menu items for CrossOver didn't appear until after rebooting the computer - and a message popped up about an old desktop location used in earlier versions of Gnome.

Are these issues being worked on for CrossOver 4.0.1? I'm unsure whether to get CrossOver 4.0 because of these problems.

Are any of these things being worked on?

Hmm. Item #1 doesn't ring a bell; it doesn't run that way for me.

Item #2 is not familiar to me; and with #3, the fonts look
fine to me, and look the same as it does on Windows
(to me, but I'm not a font expert, nor am I picky at all).

I don't know why you need the Gnome font server disabled;
that seems sick and wrong, and likely explains problem #3.

And the Gnome menu items are simply the way that modern
Gnome handles desktops. We're going to support
the freedesktop.org menu spec in 5.0 (not any 4.x release),
which will probably ease your pain there (although I don't
want to make any promises, menus are the 1 thing consistently
that has been consistently screwed up in nearly every Linux distro
since the beginning of time).

The main fix we'll be shipping soon is that iTunes, while playing,
chews way too much CPU, making it skip and otherwise not
be usable as a player, particularly on 2.6.x kernels.

That is now fixed.

Cheers,

Jeremy

I have sucessfully run iTunes using ALSA (with Fedora 3). Mine is on a Dell Latitude, but I also have i8x0 sound. I have posted the steps I used to get it work with ALSA in the comments below (maybe 3 weeks ago?).

1 - Re: 2 title bars: I have the same behavior. It looks like it's the iTunes native window title (at least it's identical to when it runs on XP - it seems to ignore whatever theme I have on XP). This in turn is swalled by a GNOME native window. I don't know if you can change this behavior - perhaps someone at CW who reads this may have a tip.

2 - Re: MP3 CDs: I have udev and hal, but I haven't tried this. If I can get it to work, I will post it here.

3 - Re: Fonts: Make sure that you have installed the windows fonts using Crossover Office Setup. I have had things look pretty hideous until I did that. If you are using an LCD, you may want to turn on "smoothing" in your font prefs (if you haven't already)

4 - Re: GNOME menu. I am assuming you are installing as a local user and NOT as root. The GNOME menu seems to only dynamically update if the global menu files are updated (only root can do that). Otherwise it installs the menu stuff to the local user under ~/.gnome I think (I'm too lazy to find the locations right now). There are two ways to force the gnome-panel to rescan the menu info:

a - logout/login  
b - Open a terminal session and type "killall gnome-panel".  This will kill the current   
     instance of gnome-panel.  When it respawns, it will have the new menu entries.  
     It will not respawn anything in the Panel Notifation Area so you will have to  
     manually launch anything that was in there.

Hope this helps!

1. I did fix this, but iTunes was so slow at reacting to the resized window that I thought it would be better to leave the WM borders and be more usable.

2. I don't have any MP3 CDs handy, so I haven't tested them (I didn't even know iTunes did anything special with them in WIndows). Furthermore, we don't currently test on Ubuntu, so I don't know what differences that has to other distros and what problems that may bring up.

Anonymous

I did install all fonts from web (so that I got the MS fonts) and things look good now.
My main problems remaining are:
1) The fact that I need Gnome font server disabled (but this may be Ubuntu hoary more than CrossOver, as Flash also has problems unless I disable the font server)
2) I cannot utilize CDs in iTunes, either MP3 or regular audio CD (just tested the latter,
and inserted CDs do not appear in iTunes). For MP3 CDs I can work around the problem
by importing all the songs to the library using File-Add Folder to Library and selecting the
MP3s from the CD (which I do see there). However, this can't be done w/audio CDs.
I am using iTunes 4.5 (have a slow connection and haven't updated yet) so that may partially explain things - but I don't know.

It has nothing to do with your version of iTunes. This version of Crossover Office doesn't support ripping/burning. (look at the other threads here and you will see that discussed).

As for having the MP3 mounted/imported automatically by iTunes... Well, I imported mine into iTunes a long, long time ago (on my Windows box) and I can't for the life of me remember where I stored the MP3 CDs to test this...

Sorry.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSEpIZ1ZSNE1wUm52bXNFOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9