iTunes 4.0 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot read cd's in iTunes

I have installed itunes using crossover Pro 4.0.0 and suse 9.2 Kernel 2.6.8-24.5-default .

I have not been able to even read a cd. Is this an issue or am I doing something wrong? I have no need to burn cd/dvd's just to read them so that I can make a library and upload to an IPod.

Any ideas, or comments?

How do I get a hold of the new beta copy.

If you're trying to rip CDs, you're gonna be out of luck. There are some comments below from Crossover staff about that issue. Here's something that may work - I know it's extra work, but hey this is Linux right?:

1 - Use a program like Sound Juicer or GRIP to rip your CDs into MP3 format
2 - Go into iTunes and then import the folder with the newly ripped music.

If you're just trying to import MP3/AAC from a data CD... well I can't help you there. I imported all my MP3 cd long, long ago when using iTunes on Windows (I don't even know where they are anymore). I would imagine if you are having difficulty importing MP3 CDs it may be related to why we cannot burn/rip in iTunes (anyone from Crosover?). Again, I would recommend copting the CD into a directory on your HD and then importing into iTunes.

Thanks,

Not to sure what you mean by rip? I just need to import them to AAC so I can download them to my iPod. I'll try your idea is sound like it should work and as a stop gap.

I just am not to sure if this is the same for everyone or just me. When I run it I get and error saying "The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes."

One other point I should make about this, is that I can not even see cds to play them in iTunes.

Ripping a CD (or a DVD) is when you copy the tracks off the disk into another format. When you are using SoundJuicer (or Music Match in Windows)to import the CD, you're actually ripping the song.

There is a comment posted earlier here by someone from Codeweavers (too lazy to actually look it up) that they would have had to re-engineer the CD ripping and burning routines, they decided instead to release a version that supported playback, the iTunes music store, and iPOD. That's why you (and everyone else) get that message. Also, if it asks you to upgrade to 2.7 DON'T DO IT. It will break the iPod synchro. Just leave it at 2.6.

Sound Juicer won't rip to AAC as far as I know. Since iTunes and the iPod both play MP3, you can just do that (just crank the bit rate up a little). One thing I do when I'm ripping a new CD (very rare - I buy mostly from iTunes Music Store now) is kinda complicated but it works. I have a smaller HD with XP and iTunes on it (I have a laptop so it's very easy to swap HD). I rip (import) the CD with iTunes under Windows. I then copy the folder from my iTunes folder to my USB drive. Boot back into Linux, fire up iTunes and import the folder. Kinda complicated, but it works and it's in AAC format. You can also burn a DATA CD under the windows iTunes, copy it to your home drive in Linux, and import into iTunes.

Also, to keep my Linux and Windows iTunes in sync, I typically copy over the new folders/songs I have purchased to a holding folder on my USB drive and then import them into the Windows iTunes. (I also back up my iTunes folder to the USB drive - I'm paranoid).

Good luck and have fun - what Linux is all about :)

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response.

That's what I have been doing for the last 3 hours. I have been using my wifes computer and copying them over to my laptop.

Once again thanks,

R

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia1ZBVlNWSENya1N0R2NxUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9