iTunes 4.0 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CD Burning workaround

This might be of use to some people on this forum. I've just managed to successfully buy, download and burn a set of iTunes songs to CD, only using linux. I was in the end asonished at how easy this was and how quickly it took me to work it out (about an hour or so).

The workaround relies on a tool called hymn (http://www.hymn-project.org/) which can quickly and simply strip out the DRM from the iTunes m4p files and convert them to m4a format. m4a can then be converted to a straight wav file using the faad (mandrake rpms are in the pengiun liberation front archive, http://plf.zarb.org, not sure about other distros).

The one (very minor) catch is with the hymn tool, this tool has both linux and windows versions, but if you try using the linux version, it has to have an iPod plugged in to the computer to work. However, the windows binary of hymn runs fine under crossover and is able to use the windows iTunes libraries instead instead of needing the iPod. So all I had to do is get the windows version of hymn and dump it in the crossover 'c:' drive. After that all you need to do is something like this (substitute 'itunesfile' for you actual music file) :

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine c:/hymn/hymn.exe itunesfile.m4p
faad itunesfile.m4a

The resulting wav files can then be burnt to CD with no problems using k3b (or whatever you prefer). The one thing that is mystifying me is that when I try to set up these commands in a script so I can do the whole thing with one simple command, I get the following error :

Couldn't open file: (null)

I'm assuming that when running as a script, the file name argument is being passed through correctly, but i'm at a loss to explain why. The current version of my script is :

!/bin/bash

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --cx-app "C:////hymn/////hymn.exe" $1

However, I have tried an number of other variants, which either produce the same error, or an error from crossover telling me it can't run the programme. Any suggestions are greatfully received.

Hmm. Yes, well, I guess that is one way to skin this cat :-/.

As to the script, I can't think of why it's failing The only comment
I have is that you could simplify to
--cx-app hymn.exe
and eliminate a lot of slashes. But otherwise, it sure looks
like it should work. Worst case, you could try doing
a cd dirname $1, followed by a passing only the
basename $1.

Cheers,

Jer

Finding this work around is a real life saver for me, I don't have a windows or mac setup that can run itunes to burn CD's and I have to have stuff on CD for work purposes (I'm a DJ).

I think i've worked out what's going wrong, iTunes saves most of the m4p files with spaces in the file names, it seems that these aren't being passed through correctly when running the commands as a script. However putting "" around the $1 seems to solve the problem. So my final working script now looks like this :

!/bin/bash

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --cx-app hymn.exe "$1"
m4afile=$(dirname "$1")/$(basename "$1" .m4p).m4a
faad "$m4afile"
rm "$m4afile"

Anonymous

Hi,

i use JHymn (0.8.2) directly under LINUX and it's works perfectly without an connected iPod 😉
Hints to compile and run JHymn for Linux:

• compile all java files at the way describe in build_win.bat 😉
  • compile HymnJNI Library as libHymnJNI.so and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to its install point.
    (gcc --no-warnings -I$JDK/include -I$JDK/include/linux -shared -o ../libHymnJNI.so *.c)
  • remove faad/lame MAC exe's under JHymn tree and link faad and lame (linux) to install point of JHymn.jar;JHymn make a call like pwd/faad ☹️

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibnBaQzlKdGtuelJOZzg4eiIsImdkcHIiOjB9