iTunes Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Successful Installation and Function iTunes64 12.9.x

Windows 7 64bit bottle

Installed the following into this bottle:
Core Fonts; DVXK (x64 only); MS.NET 4.7.2; MSXML 3.0; MSXML6.0 SP2; MS Visual C++ 2015-2019;

Post install added - DirectX for Modern Games; MS Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.6 x64

Started up iTunes64 and loaded my music library.

Search function for Apple Store works. Have not purchased anything yet...

No crashes / failures to date. Very happy!

1 2

To anyone interested,

Version used for installation: iTunes 12.9.4 (not .11 which is for W10 only)

My iTunes installation is working perfectly. I can confirm I was able to log into my Apple account without any issues.

So all working well...no crashes to date since initial installation.

CC

Further to last...

iTunes is auto downloading / updating purchased music.

Still no issues in the functioning of the program. Works great!

Thanks for this guidance.

No dice for me. Everything installs correctly, but iTunes opens to a black background. Another issue is that Crossover did not see that iTunes installed, so I had to cancel the Crossover installation dialog. However, it shows in the list of installed apps in the bottle.
Maybe it would work under a different Linux. I'm running Mint 20.2 64 Cinnamon.

Update:
Since installing Crossover 22 the one bug I had is gone - slow scrolling down through songs / artists.

Re how to install, I did the following:
ITunes64 (12.9.x) - Windows 7 64bit bottle: Core Fonts; DVXK (x64 only); MS.NET 4.7.2; MSXML 3.0; MSXML6.0 SP2; MSLS31; MS Visual C++ 2015-2019; Crossover HTML engine;
Post install, added: DirectX for Modern Games; MS Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.6 x64.

I am currently running Linux Mint 21 x64 Cinnamon but installed the saved archive file from Mint 20.3 / Crossover 21

System: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi motherboard with Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core 4.9GHz CPU with 32GB RAM & MSI Radeon 6800XT.

Current system with current Crossover (22), iTunes 64 (v12.9) running perfectly (to date).

Hope this helps

Apologies...I had listed the incorrect version of iTunes to use for installation.

12.9.x does indeed provide a black screen.

x64 iTunes version is 12.7.3.46 - this is the version to use.

Running perfectly as per previous instructions on installation in Linux Mint 20.3 / 21

Thanks for the very helpful guidance! For the record, I followed your recipe on a MacBook Pro (2012), macOS Catalina, and my purpose was to use iTunes 12.6.5 in order to manage and download iPhone apps. I too had a very annoying scrolling issue with Crossover 21 - bad enough that I decided to walk away from the concept.

My laptop has both integrated (Intel) and discrete (nVidia) graphics. For me, even with Crossover 22, I was having some oddness while scrolling, but if I forced my Mac to continue using Intel graphics, it improved the situation. Go figure.

MS Windows Desktop Runtime 5.0.6 isn't something I've been able to locate yet, so it hasn't been added to my "recipe".

I do wish I could get some improvement in font appearance. It looks somewhat bad compared to a Windows installation. Much worse in some areas than others. Song lyrics look dreadful. But it seems to function for my purposes.

If I am able to improve anything, I'll post.

Hi Gordon,

Version now 5.0.17

You can download it here for x64
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-5.0.17-windows-x64-installer

Or here for x86
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-5.0.17-windows-x86-installer

No issues with fonts though I am running an all AMD system currently - Ryzen 9 5950x / Radeon RX 7800XT MSI / Motherboard x570 MSI

Hope this helps.

Regards

Just to clarify...

12.9.x does indeed provide a black screen.

x64 iTunes version is 12.7.3.46 - this is the version to use.

Running perfectly as per previous instructions on installation in Linux Mint 20.3 / 21

I can't seem to find this version to download from Apple. They have listed:
Itunes versions

Also, I can't find the DirectX for modern games for post-install. Thanks to the other commenter, I followed the link to install the other post item. But none of it matters if I can't get the correct version of Itunes into the bottle. Currently, all the files I installed per your instructions are sitting in the bottle. Thanks for your help.

You can get it here:

https://filehippo.com/download_itunes-64/12.7.3.46.0/

Or here:

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/itunes-12-7-3-46

Cheers and Happy New Year - 2023...

I wanted the community to know what's currently working for me. I followed your "recipe" again, but since Crossover 22 informed me that MSXML 3.0 was incompatible with my bottle, I installed only MSXML Parser 6.0 SP2. I was also informed that Visual C++ 2015-2019 (64-bit) was incompatible, so I chose Visual C++ 2019, and received no such message, but I DID notice that Visual C++ 2015-2019 was also being installed as part of the package. Oh well.

I don't have DXVK turned on, and it doesn't seem to matter on a Mac. And I'm using iTunes 12.6.5.3 - the last version with access to the App Store and one's own App Library.

Searching the store works, purchasing and downloading works. Just for general knowledge's sake, Apple has made it impossible for any Mac version of iTunes to download Apps. You can purchase to your heart's content, but the only way to get a download is using a Windows version of iTunes. So you could do some purchases, and then download them all using Windows, whether it's an actual PC, Boot Camp on a Mac, or a virtual machine. But this Crossover approach is showing real promise on a Mac. Scrolling isn't ideal, and the fonts look funny, but it works.

Thanks for the link for the Windows Desktop Runtime.

I wanted to add an update. My goal has always been to run iTunes 12.6.5.3, in order to be able to download and update App Store apps in my library.

I have solved my "very strange" font issues and have iTunes 12.6.5 running very well using a new bottle that's quite simple to put together using Crossover 22.

1) New 32-bit Windows 7 bottle

2) Use Crossover's install wizard to search for "Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+" and install.

3) Locate the Setup.exe for 32-bit Windows, iTunes 12.6.5.3. Install as Unknown Software into the bottle.

4) If your iTunes Library is in your Home/Music folder, everything should just work, and the interface will look MUCH better - the way in looks on a PC. If your library is elsewhere, an alias in your Music folder works fine.

1 to 14 of 14

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZUNMY1hmUW5lWW5DUjJ3dSIsImdkcHIiOjB9