Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

JK DF 2 Partially Functional in Linux

I was able to successfully install Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II in a Win98 bottle on the following machine:

Soyo SY-7ISA+ Intel i815 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 866 MHz Processor
512 MB SDRAM
PNY Verto GeForce FX 5200 AGP 8x 256 MB DDR
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card (SB0220)
Samsung CD-RW/DVD Drive Model: TS-H492A/RSWN
Dual Boot openSUSE Linux 10.3/Windows XP Pro SP3
CodeWeavers CrossOver Games for Linux Version 7.1.2

I was also able to successfully update the game to Version 1.01 using the jkupd101.exe patch.

Cutscenes play, but there is graphical corruption. Static parts of the screen are greyed out, and only become visible if there is movement that causes change to a pixel. Sound in cutscenes works fine. Even with the corruption, it is generally possible to follow the action in cutscenes without too much difficulty.

There is graphical corruption in the menu system as well, but much of it tends to be nuisance issues. It pays to take advantage of keyboard commands to alter settings when possible. For instance, it is much easier to use the [-] and [+] keys to alter screen resolution than it is to make the same adjustments in the Settings menu. Moving the cursor over a menu option tends to cause some other section of the screen to be copied onto the menu item area.

In-level play is quite good with no graphical or sound issues that I noticed after a brief play period. The appearance and general placement of the screen and HUD items was better on my system if I set the Linux desktop resolution to 800x600 and 16-bit color, and then installed and played the game at that resolution.

I have not tested multiplayer/network play. Many of the single player issues listed above probably would not have any impact on multiplayer play assuming that the network code works.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTkZCSzZBU1poSEtuazRYVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9