Left 4 Dead Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Left 4 Dead menu text
   Hey, I bought left 4 dead this after noon and when I try to play it it goes through the valve guy and the intro cinematic (I can hear them but not see them) to the menu.  However at the menu there is no text.  I can mouse over where the buttons would be and I can hear them "click" but I have no idea what buttons I'm pushing.  I havent been able to play the actual game yet.  I checked and my computer is more than suited for the system requirements. 

Does anyone have the same problem and is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to wait for some sort of update?

PS I use a mac

PPS it says something about drivers on steam before I launch left 4 dead

PPS Sorry that I posted this in the regular crossover mac forums I didnt see the crossover games one.

I don't know if this problem is related and I know it may be discussed elsewhere on the site, but, I have the driver message from steam stating that my video drivers need to be updated. The game loads fine, I see the menu text and I am able to even play the game on low settings however, when playing every texture is completely covered blown out meaning that the sky is like it is nighttime but all the interiors look way too bright and white in the textures overpowers all the other colors. I am running on a Mac 10.4.11 with an Radeon X1600 graphics card. Does anyone know if there is any way to fix this?

Set the launch options and registry settings as instructed here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4672;tips=1

It will work around your menu problem, and the game will look pretty good. But it will lag a bit, even with the lowest screen resolution.

are there any more specific instructions on doing the regedit in a new bottle? do i have to create a new bottle, install steam, install l4d, and then do the regedit in that bottle as opposed to the one i'm currently playing tf2/portal/hl2 in? any help or a step-by-step to get this working would be amazing, because right now i have a $50 game i bought that i can't play!!

Maybe http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXGamesMac_EnableGLSL is a better walkthrough?

and if i do the regedit in the same bottle i'm running my other games from it won't break them..?

If you only want the change to affect Left4Dead, you can use a slightly different key. Instead of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D

you'd navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\left4dead.exe\Direct3D

creating the missing keys along the way. You'll also have to create a string value named "useGLSL" and give it any value other than "disabled".

good deal. i'll try this tonight. i can see the opening video and menu video fine but my menu text is missing and the in-game graphics/textures are half-missing. i'll definitely get back to this thread if i have any issues and post my specific system specs as well, as they're well above what the game requires with the exception of dx9.

no dice on either method of reg edits posted in this thread.

with no launch options and no regedits i at least had the intro video and menu background working, the registry changes and launch options only kept the intro from playing and removed the background entirely, still leaving me with no menu either. i was able to get into a game just by clicking at random and the graphics looked okay for the most part [it was very dark/there may have been missing textures] but it was entirely unplayable and hung up almost immediately, although i could hear the other players in my game fine for a few moments before it hung up.

my system specs are as follows:

Early 2009 iMac
OSX 10.5.6
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/ 512mb VRAM
CrossOver Games 7.2

it'd be amazing if anyone could help me out with getting this up and running. i was very excited for the new content this week and i've never played it before!! i'm a huge fan of tf2 and it works amazingly on my system at the highest settings. i understand l4d is dx9 so we hit a snag there, but here's to hoping for a workaround!!

going through the same issue here. any fix around this? i was able to get to single player. and when the game started, it was all the way on the top of my screen. so i couldnt do anything about it.

i really hope there is coming a newer version of crossover games. which has solved a lot of these bugs. that would be really nice.

can someone give me the link where you go to press run command

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

can someone give me the link where you go to press run command

On a Mac, click "Programs" in the menu bar, then "Run Command".

which menu bar

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

which menu bar

The OS X menu bar at the very top of the screen with the apple in it.

After reading through several threads and the tips for L4D I did the following:

Added the following string values to HKCU\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\left4dead.exe\Direct3D\
enable_srgb_hack = enable
useGLSL = enable
offscreenRenderingMode = fbo

I also edited the Steam properties to add the "-novid -window" flags.

With Crossover Games 7.2.2 on an Nvidia 9600 (Macbook Pro 17") I get a black screen. Removing "useGLSL" restores the title screen but I still have no menu text. Am I missing something or is L4D just broken?

Islanti wrote:

After reading through several threads and the tips for L4D I did the
following:

Added the following string values to
HKCU\Software\Wine\AppDefaults\left4dead.exe\Direct3D\
enable_srgb_hack = enable
useGLSL = enable
offscreenRenderingMode = fbo

I also edited the Steam properties to add the "-novid -window"
flags.

With Crossover 7.2.2 on an Nvidia 9600 (Macbook Pro 17") I get a
black screen. Removing "useGLSL" restores the title screen but I
still have no menu text. Am I missing something or is L4D just
broken?

The newest update for L4D broke it for me, hopefully crossover game 8 will fix it

OK i cant find Programs on the menu bar where the hell is it

There is no programs on the mac menu bar..seriously

What commands would you like to run?

The terminal and console to run commands is in the utilities folder

I'm just trying to do the setting in regedit where your supposed to put HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/useGLSL = " enabled" and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/offscreenRenderingMode = " fbo" and i cant figure out how to do it

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

I'm just trying to do the setting in regedit where your supposed to
put HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/useGLSL = " enabled"
and HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D/offscreenRenderingMode
= " fbo" and i cant figure out how to do it

I can't figure out here whether you're talking about how to
start regedit...or how to use it. If the latter, you can go
to your web browser, pick the search engine of your choice
and search for 'how to use regedit' and follow the results.
(it must be one of the most asked questions on the 'net ;)

If it's the former....running regedit itself...that kind
of help is in the online docs here ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/

see the part about 'running a windows command'.

Go to your mac bottle configuration and run command regedit and navigate to the where you want to update

can you do all this regedit stuff if you installed left 4 dead via steam because I have a steam bottle but not one for left 4 dead, seeing as when you download the game on steam it does not ask you which bottle you want to put it in. do i have to go out now and buy the CD?

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

OK i cant find Programs on the menu bar where the hell is it

You have to run CrossOver Games first, then you should see a Programs menu in the menu bar.

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

can you do all this regedit stuff if you installed left 4 dead via
steam because I have a steam bottle but not one for left 4 dead,
seeing as when you download the game on steam it does not ask you
which bottle you want to put it in. do i have to go out now and buy
the CD?

When you install L4D using steam it will put it in the bottle that steam was running in.
No need to buy the CD. Run Command... regedit from the Programs menu in CrossOver Games.
I only was able to get L4D fully working on CrossOver Games 8, which is in beta at the moment.
It half worked in Crossover Games 7 even with those reg settings.

i enabled GLSL and everything but i cant find thisthing where it says offscreenrenderingmode=fbo
im at the Direct3d part of the folder, where is this last part?

ok well this GLSL bullshit just gives me a black screen now so thats just great

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

ok well this GLSL b#llsh!t just gives me a black screen now so thats
just great

Most people (like me) had issues similar to what you are saying using CrossOver Games 7. I recommend you waiting for CrossOver Games 8 to get out of beta. It should work without having to do any regedit stuff so it won't be frustrating for you.

Your saying Crossover 8 will have this game all fixed? When is it coming out? Do you have to pay to get it?

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

Your saying Crossover 8 will have this game all fixed? When is it
coming out? Do you have to pay to get it?

It's in beta now. It'll come out when it's ready, and if you still have some sort of support, I think it should be a free upgrade... See https://www.codeweavers.com/products/upgrade_policy/

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

Your saying Crossover 8 will have this game all fixed? When is it
coming out? Do you have to pay to get it?

No, he didn't say it will be 'all fixed' -- what he is suggesting is that you
wait until COG 8.0 is final/released, and then you may have an easier time
of it and might not have to tweak things in regedit. Note that performance
of this title differs depending on which Mac/MacOSX you happen to be running
and what videocard/chipset it is using -- from what I've read thus in beta reports
regarding this title, YMMV depending on these things...

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

Your saying Crossover 8 will have this game all fixed?
When is it coming out? Do you have to pay to get it?

No, he didn't say it will be 'all fixed' -- what he is suggesting is
that you
wait until COG 8.0 is final/released, and then you may have an
easier time
of it and might not have to tweak things in regedit. Note that
performance
of this title differs depending on which Mac/MacOSX you happen to be
running
and what videocard/chipset it is using -- from what I've read thus
in beta reports
regarding this title, YMMV depending on these things...

Have you tested L4D on the beta yet? It actually runs quite nicely, without any registry tweaks. Of course it'll depend a lot on your video card, but it's certainly playable on my NVidia 8600 GT (256mb) Macbook Pro. I wouldn't say it's "all fixed" in that it runs just as well as TF2, but it'll probably get a silver rating.

hey louis ..Whats your defination of playable..?

On Linux here...with nvidia 8400 512mb
Got about 12fps to 27 fps ..not exactly playable ..but better than before

Yeah I have a NVIDIA 9400 graphics card....is there any way I can get the Crossover 8 beta?

become an advocate. simple as that

and how do i do this

apply in the advocate center in compatability

Ok I will do that but does anyone know when the it is actually coming out

No official release date yet i presume ..
We all are in the midst of beta testing ...many bugs to find and eliminate still..

1 to 40 of 40

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ3ljeVpGekxISGJWQ2V2NyIsImdkcHIiOjB9