Left 4 Dead Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

installing L4D

I am wondering if it is even worth installing this yet. I have a new macbook pro (unibody style) with a 2.26 processor and 2gb of RAM.

In reading a lot of the posts on this forum it seems like a bit of crapshoot... I do have steam installed and seems to work great. Is that the best way to attempt?

Most likely you will end up with missing menu text. Try some of the tips and tricks when you install it. Though it is recommended you have at least 2.4 Ghz (Dual Core). Also depending on your graphics card.. But you have more then enough ram. You should test it out. See how it works!

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video card, hopefully that is less problematic. :) I am running the latest CXG, what tips do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Install the directx SDK if you don't see a menu or the game is crashing. Then it should run perfectly.

Note:
The first time playing the intro video might play with no video!

One last question, is it best to intstall through steam or on it's own? Thanks for all your help, I am dying to play this game!

I would just say through steam since that's how most people did it and I don't want you running into bugs that people who installed through steam didn't get.

Thanks again for all your help! I am assuming running the DirectX SDK is pretty simple. Anything weird there?

Where do you go to install DirectX SDK?

That's what I need to know too. I want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Half Life 2 and Dark Crusade are running fabulous!

Download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24a541d6-0486-4453-8641-1eee9e21b282&displaylang=en

Should be easy to install.

Noah ...direct x would only help on higher level applications..

Lower level applications would not benifit from directx libraries as crossover would be unable to run some of these stuff..

Well it still worked for me when I had 7.2.2 anyways.

Did it help on the Cxgames beta?

Excuse me Noah, could you or possibly another member of Crossover answer these questions for me please?

Do you know how I can download this without having to go through the Microsoft Genuine validity checks?

I dislike strongly that Microsoft would make you do this for something free.

If I have try and pass their validity checks then I should perhaps tell you that I do not have access to any computers running any variant of Windows at home and ask; will their genuine checker work with Wine or Crossover?

Sam! wrote:

Did it help on the Cxgames beta?

I got a few more frames and less my awkward pauses went away.

and James. Download what?

The Direct X SDK which you posted a link to.

Last time I checked there was nothing to confirm you own windows.

Okay, however, when I click on that link which you posted it, it came up with a normal Microsoft Page which required me to pass the Microsoft Genuine Validity test, I have no idea how to get around this apart from trying to run the validity checker in Wine or Crossover.

Would it be possible for you to send me or host the SDK installer somewhere?

Here you go.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=529f03be-1339-48c4-bd5a-8506e5acf571&DisplayLang=en

Turns out they released a update and added that. Here is the version that Crossover Games 8 uses, and the one I used. NO validation required.

Geunine checker would not work with wine or crossover.....

There are mirrors hosting those files you know

try googling that file and look for softpeida. .. i got mine from there

the sdk installer just seems to hang and not really do anything.... left 4 dead loads, but no menu...:(

Got DirectX SDK installed, think I originally downloaded the wrong version.... :) It however did nothing as far as improving L4D. Still gets to the main screen and no menu....

Sucks, I'd really love to play this game!

okay...To clear things up..installing Direct SDK might (note the might) not even fix many of your problems
For a few reasons

one of which is that Crossover is unable to use those dlls in directx as it employs low level services which is only avialable to the windows kernel and its subsystem...
Instead of using those directx dlls , Crossover reimplements those stuff over the existing opengl implentation on linux or mac..
However , Crossover is able to use those higher level stuff from directx like directdraw and so on...this might only help on some games like age of empire where they use direct rendering ..and so on( forgive me if my explaination is slightly inaccurate)

@Noah installing directx SDK is not the magicall all perfect solution to all these problems.

most hl2 mod games use the standard hl2 engine ..but l4d uses a advacned or improved version of it ...I wonder if that affects our gameplay.
What i find intersting is that all my other hl2 mod games can actually run at native or near native performance ...but only l4d cant...
Maybe Stefan knows more 😊

I also wonder what upgrading to snow leopard will do to this whole process.... I'll have to wait because a lot of my audio software is not yet compatible..

a note of warning if you do upgrade to snow leopard ...

Snowleopard contians many under the hood bug fixes and optimizations..many...changes ..some of which is boot time and so on

This has inevitably broken some of Macs own native applications

Therefore , the chances of it breaking wine and crossover ..could be quite high...

dont forget that the new snow leopard is 64 bit too...which might cause problems for wine

f**k this im buying an xbox 360

Ryan Hobbs wrote:

f**k this im buying an xbox 360

I'm there with you, but unfortunately xbox doesn't have mouse and keyboard.

you might want to read this guy's experience.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/09/pax08-left-4-dead-is-better-with-a-keyboard.ars

1 to 27 of 27

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiblI1NzdxcWV4ZEJNVXNaNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9