Left 4 Dead Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing Windows

I am trying to install Windows on my mac via bootcamp, with a Windows Xp Home Edition Upgrade CD with SP2. So when it gets to the blue Windows installation screen it asks for a Previous edition WIndows disk to ensure I'm liable to install windows or something. I have a Windows 95 disc because it was really cheap, and it is on the list of Disks it wants, but the only problem is I can't eject the Windows XP Home Edition cd to insert the Windows 95 disc. I tried holding down the eject button, holding down the mouse button, nothing works. Is there any way to eject the disc? Also, if i do manage to get it in, will it install Windows 95 on my mac or can i use the Windows XP disc to make it windows xp on the mac?

Try installing windows 95 then insert the windows xp disk once windows 95 is fully installed. Then it may not ask you to insert a previous version.

I tried that, but you know when it says start installation on boot camp assistant, i inserted the windows 95 disc and it said the installation disc could not be found

Your windows 95 disc maybe corrupted. You may need a replacement.

Lets just say windows 95 has a high chance to be incompatible with bootcamp

As bootcamp drivers are mainly developed for windows xp ,vista and seven , your best bet of using the oldest windows system is windows 2000

But other than that , i do not think that ,even if you install windows 95 ,you would be able to upgrade.
The architecture of the system is just to different
Windows 95 is mainly like a gui shell for ms dos
while windows xp is a whole new system based on windows nt

Therefore making upgrade very improbable ..

Your windows 95 might not even start on your mac , as win95 does not support modern hardware.
So best way to get bootcamp running?
Get a xp installtion cd.

If you have a valid and legal cd key go get one from msdn site

Dammit....you mean a windows xp cd like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-FULL-VERSION/dp/B00022PTRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1251217790&sr=8-1

I just love paying $200 for this..

Although would this work? Even though its not SP2?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B0013O54P8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1251217823&sr=1-1

You don't have to pay for SP2, it's one of the free updates. In fact there is a SP3.

You cant really upgrade from windows 95

It would work find if you get the windows xp installtion cd..

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibU43d0VrVU5nZGRRdFhSbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9