Left 4 Dead Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

setting up an LAN between two macbooks to play L4D...

This may be a dumb question, but what is the best way to set up a LAN between 2 macbooks? I'll be in a spot with no internet or wifi, will a ethernet cable connecting both cpu's be best? Or possibly a firewire?

You can forget about Firewire.

Ethernet would be best, it should be Plug-n-play.

but,

You could setup an ad hoc Wi-Fi:

1. Click on the AirPort icon in your menu bar. From the AirPort menu, select Create Network.
  2. Click on require password.
  3. Click on OK. The AirPort icon in the system menu bar changes to a little computer in a gray signal field.
  4. Other users that you want on your ad hoc network can now select the network that appears in his or her AirPort menu, they enter the password you set.

I personally use an Airport Express. It's $99 and very portable. It's easy to setup a wireless network and if internet is available it can be shared to all wireless devices (iPhone, Macbooks, etc)

sounds like ethernet is the best way without having to drop $100.... Is there any difference in performance?

Jimi Bowman wrote:

sounds like ethernet is the best way without having to drop $100....
Is there any difference in performance?

Ethernet is cheep and reliable. (cheep until your friend trips on the ethernet cable - where is my mag-safe ethernet? ;)

Wifi is free, but not as reliable. If wifi configuration is successful and the airways are clear then you can't tell the difference in-game.

This worked great via Airport WiFi! But, make sure you have L4D dedicated server downloaded under tools in Steam.

You need that to play without internet connection. I had to make a 911 run to McDonalds in the middle of nowhere to download. :)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUUJmWlIzTjJuNFE0U3h2USIsImdkcHIiOjB9