Left 4 Dead Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Suddenly not working

So, up until today, Left 4 Dead was working almost at gold quality. But now it no longer loads at all. I'm working with a Leopard OS Mac and Crossover 8, and I have tried enabling GLSL, in addition to changing -dxlevel in the launch options. But instead of L4Dead, all I get is a white screen that crashes after about 15 seconds. Has something changed recently that would break the game?

I just started it up, looks like it's still running at silver quality. You can forget about the dxlevel settings. L4D requires dx9, so any of those settings are ignored. I would recommend -novid to skip the movie and -window to avoid fullscreen issues.
I don't set a GLSL setting so it's automatically chosen for me. I have an NVidia 9600M GT and put everything on low. I get 15-100fps. avg around 25fps. If it still doesn't work, I would re-install L4D or maybe make a new bottle and start over.

There could be a corrupted registery of the bottle...so ..yeah make a new bottle and re install L4d and see.

If it still occurs , did you have any system updates recently?

I have -window and -novid. I tried making a new bottle and installing it again; the same thing happened. I don't think its a problem with the bottle though, because TF2, Half-Life 2, and Portal are all on the same bottle and still function. There was a Mac update a couple of days ago, but surely if that caused it, other people would be having problems too, right? Thanks for your responses, and let me know if you can think of anything else I could try!

could you check what was the update ?

Also, what kind of graphics card do you have in your Mac?

Updates are listed here:

2009-09-18 11:54:39 +0200: Installed "Security Update 2009-005" (1.0)
2009-09-18 11:55:45 +0200: Installed "QuickTime" (7.6.4)

The next previous update was on September 4th, and I believe L4D was working after that point.

My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicnVOa0JVeDlUd01lUEJtYSIsImdkcHIiOjB9