Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love for Sail Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Broken Installation

Hardware: MacBook 701LL/A
Crossover: Pro 8.0.1
Bottle: Win98

I have installed Leisure Suit Larry 7 (Love For Sail) from a stand-alone installer disc (not the one that came with the "Ultimate Pleasure Pack") and am experiencing difficulties getting it to run.

1) None of the EXE files on the CD do anything when double clicking them. This disc only triggers crossover when inserting it into the drive with crossover already open. Other programs trigger crossover by double clicking the EXE.
2) When installing, the system check test dies after announcing successful verification of CD drive.
3) When installing, and skipping system checks, it looks like it's installing, but throws several errors when it's about complete. See list below:

DdeConnect returned 400A
Setup was unable to add a program group for Sierra
Setup was unable to add an item for Love For Sail! to a program group

(Note that these same error codes appear multiple times before saying that the program successfully installed.)

4) None of the EXE files on the CD trigger the application to run. Rerunning the installer is as good as it gets.

Hi,

Have you tried crossover-games with this title at all?

Cheers!

Those error messages may just mean the installer failed to create entries for the game in the Start menu of the virtual Windows environment in the bottle. A failure like that would prevent CrossOver from making an entry for the game in its Programs menu. So, it may be possible to run the game using the Run Command dialog and browsing to the game's .exe file inside the bottle (not on the CD).

Cross-Over Pro was the only version of Cross-Over that ever worked with program previously. Ever since Cross-Over Games was introduced, it was always missing key functionality to run this application.

Also the DdeConnect Error has always been there. This is because the old Program Manager (progman) interface was only just started to be correctly implemented in maybe the past year & is still unable to make program groups, menus, & icons. We were always able to run the program directly before.

I know at some point the "autoplay.exe" and "sier5w.exe" on CD quit working for Wine. At some point the bug made it into CodeWeavers. I'd suggest finding "SIERW5.exe" in your Win95 or Win98 bottle & running that. I'd like to help more, but I don't currently have the free-time to spare right now. Let me know if this works, if not I can try to get you a work around in a couple weeks.

Also content on http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1379 should help work around most issues.

I saw this note I wrote in another part of this apps forum

From the Menu CrossOver->Run A Windows Command
"~/.cxoffice/LarryLove4Sail/drive_c/SIERRA/LSL7/SIERW5.EXE"
will run the app after installation with some errors when quiting the game.

Also the system test NEVER worked. Not even in actual Microsoft Windows 98. It only ever worked in Microsoft Windows 95 (sometimes). You have to skip it. This is how actual Windows works.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTUtlN3BTR0VnR0dyVktNZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9