Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

No Sound, Black Screen after launching LOTRO

I have followed all instructions in all the other threads the best I could and have successfully gotten LotroMac.app to launch LOTRO through CXG.
But then when LOTRO comes up, there is no sound. The intro movie plays quite well, then I get the standard advertisement screen, then just as the character selection screen comes up, it goes black and stays that way. I have to Command-Opt+R to get back to the desktop.

Here's the output of the lotroclient.log:

000000016.420: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Validating credentials...
042190764.025: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading subscription data...
042190764.025: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Loading character data...
042190764.025: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_WorldName: Brandywine
042190765.799: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_DisplayStringInfo: Receiving character data...
042190765.799: GlobalEventHandler::RecvEvt_CharSet: called.
042190778.847: gmLoadScreenUI::ListenToGlobalMessage: loading started.
042190795.462: gmLoadScreenUI::Close: loading finished.
042190795.474: ----CRASH REPORT START----
042190795.474: Program fault: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) trying to write to 0x57F94000
042190795.474: Detailed report:

Current local time: Wed Aug 06 16:52:33 2008

Version Report generated by CoreVersion : 2.0.95.4 (0x0200005F):
Language: English
CompanyName : Turbine, Inc.
FileDescription : <FileVersion
FileVersion : 01.08.00.8136
InternalName : lotroclient
LegalCopyright : Copyright � 1997-2008 Turbine, Inc.
OriginalFilename : lotroclient.exe
ProductName : lotroclient
ProductVersion : 01.08.00.8136 book14
Comments : compiled Thu Jul 31 06:44:58 2008 : retail
TurbineBuildVersion : 01.08.00.8136.retail
TurbineType : Player External

042190795.474: ----CRASH REPORT END----

I'm running MacOS 10.4.11

Here's my graphic's specs:
Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3172
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Display Connector:

Here's my audio info:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x106B00A0
Audio ID: 46
Available Devices:
Speaker:
Connection: Internal
Headphone:
Connection: Combo
Microphone:
Connection: Internal
Line In:
S/P-DIF Out:
S/P-DIF In:

Any help in figuring out why I have no sound, etc... would be great.

A 'me too' on this one.

Same error: basically I get the MoM splash screen, then a blank screen and the LoTRO cursor, and that's all she wrote.

CXG 7.2
Latest EU Trial (up to Book 14)
Fully patched using latest LoTROMac.
Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz Core Duo, 2G RAM, GeForce 8600M GT

There seem to be quite a few folks around various forums with this issue - anyone any clues, or pointers to generating more debug?

Trying to get some deeper debug out - in LoTROMac Options dialog, I've set 'WINEDEBUG' to -all, and 'parameters' to --cx-log /tmp/wine.log

...and I can't find my debug log. Suggestions?

The ?main? log file for LotROMac aka LotroLinux is found in:

~/Library/Application Support/LotROLinux/run.log

There is also a "patch.log" there.

Keep in mind that these logs are OVERWRITTEN, not extended!

Bill Magill
Valdicta, Gladden, RK

Assuming this worked in CrossOver Games 7.1.x and no longer works in CrossOver Games 7.2, have you opened a support ticket? While LOTRO is not yet a supported application, we would be happy to look into any regressions CrossOver Games 7.2 may have caused.

Never had 7.1, so not sure whether this is a regression :D

It does seem to be a fairly common problem, though wry smile

Several points here.

1- 7.2 works fine with LOTRO and Leopard.

2- 7.1 did NOT work with the "trial versions" (ie. up to book 14) of LOTRO without extensive "playing."

3- the Mines of Moria expansion solved the primary issue with 7.1 and both Leopard (10.5) and Tiger (10.4)

4- The instructions provided for prior to Mines of Moria in the LOTRO web site work with the exception of the fact that there is a missing graphics module -- vc++ 2005. see the thread: otROMac quits after hitting login? would it be better to just try and play under Linux?

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=2869;forum=1;msg=43932

5- Turbine changed many things with book 14 which caused various things to fail which worked in the past.

6- You won't get any sound until AFTER the main character screen loads. None of the cinematic scenes play with sound. The Turbine Logo does not play sound. In-game sound is fine as is the in-game player chat. (Or rather the In-game player chat works as well as it can be expected. Compared to Vent, it is pretty bad.)

Valamar
OTG

I'm not 100% certain if WINEDEBUG affects what CXG spews out, if it does then setting it to either blank or +all will make it spew out a lot of stuff (might run like a dead turtle with +all though).

However, the problem might be the same as the one I was getting under wine, an unimplemented function call in d3dx9_36.dll, under wine that was causing it to sit on the black screen forever. Try getting a copy of d3dx9_366.dll (google for it) and stick it in your game directory and give it another go.

Anyone found a solution to the "No Sound In Movies" problem?

Konstantinos wrote:

Anyone found a solution to the "No Sound In Movies" problem?

I know that under Wine you get no sound in movies when the sound mode is set to use OSS rather than ALSA. I would assume the same is true under CXG. There is an option in the configure bottle utility to change the order in which sound systems are tried (I'm on a XP box at the moment so I can't look at it), you should be able to type alsa into that box but if you are using a system with pulseaudio you might get problems as alsa and pulse don't seem to mix too well via wine/CXG (bug is in either alsa or pulse rather than wine from what I've read).

I see what you mean, the thing is though that i am on the mac, and OSX is not using either alsa nor pulse. Puzzling...

Under OSX if one first launches CrossOver Games; from the CXG menu bar item "Configure," select "manage bottles"; select "control panel"; select "winecfg"' click "launch selected item.

In the Wine Configuration window, select audio. You will note that the only "driver" available/supported is the OSX "CoreAudio Driver."

What this implies is that MOM is using a proprietary audio scheme for the movies as all of the in-game sound works as well in CXG as it does on a PC under XP (which is to say not very well. That is an issue I have bugged with TURBINE. [Manny sounds in-game cannot be controlled by the game options audio panel... except that you can turn them on or off, but not control their volume. Horse sound effects are one of the easiest to see this with.]

1 to 12 of 12

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaHNYZ3J3UUhzaFhhWDlDZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9