Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

A couple of issues - settings and mouse

Hey ive jsut been getting back into lotro since it went f2p i am running the latest cx (11.0.2) and am having a few issues. One is that none of my settings are sticking once i close it down. sound, resultion, graphics, nothing stays as i set it. secondly my mouse seems to be very choppy which i dont remember it ever doing back when i played it before. i am playing on an early 2011 macbook pro 2.2ghz, my mouse is the logitech g700 if that helps

any ideas would be great cause im loving my warden again :)

Jessica Bartley wrote:

Hey ive jsut been getting back into lotro since it went f2p i am
running the latest cx (11.0.2) and am having a few issues. One is
that none of my settings are sticking once i close it down. sound,
resultion, graphics, nothing stays as i set it. secondly my mouse
seems to be very choppy which i dont remember it ever doing back
when i played it before. i am playing on an early 2011 macbook pro
2.2ghz, my mouse is the logitech g700 if that helps

Sounds like a corrupt or write-protected file.

Game settings are saved in the file: <user>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini

This is in the same folder where your screenshots are saved, and where your Lua Plugins or Music (ABC) files are stored.

Try deleting (or simply re-naming) the UserPreferences.ini file. It will be recreated the next time the game launches.

this is actually very odd, the .ini file you mentioned doesnt seem to be there at all, even on restarting the game etc

Jessica Bartley wrote:

this is actually very odd, the .ini file you mentioned doesnt seem
to be there at all, even on restarting the game etc

That implies that the Folder (directory) is either write protected or not writeable by you. Where "you" is whatever userid you are running CO under.

Use "Get Info" to find out. Check both "Documents" (the parent) and "The Lord of the Rings Online" folders.

This is a problem for me as well. I can confirm that LotRO does have the proper permissions on the settings folder as it does create 'lotro.keymap' and the 'PluginData' folder. However, 'UserPreferences.ini' does not exist.

I am needing to edit this config in order to adjust the resolution that the game runs at. Currently, no settings are saved when the game exits. I also cannot change resolutions in-game. When I attempt to do so I get a black screen and I have to terminate CO with CMD-Q.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Aaron Griffith wrote:

This is a problem for me as well. I can confirm that LotRO does
have the proper permissions on the settings folder as it does create
'lotro.keymap' and the 'PluginData' folder. However,
'UserPreferences.ini' does not exist.

I am needing to edit this config in order to adjust the resolution
that the game runs at. Currently, no settings are saved when the
game exits. I also cannot change resolutions in-game. When I
attempt to do so I get a black screen and I have to terminate CO
with CMD-Q.

Duh... I forgot, I have seen this issue before, but in a different context. It began with Turbine's problems with Update 5 back in February. AND, I believe it is LION specific. (I don't know if it happens on Snow Leopard or not, no one has commented about it.)

The problem is actually simple to understand. The keymap file is created when the game launches, the UserPreferences when it quits. Turbine did something to the quit sequence in the client with the Update 5 that no longer "catches" on the Mac. Finding what that "something" is has proven to be a challenge... as it works correctly under CO-Linux, just not CO-Mac. That failure to "catch" is preventing?causing the output of the UserPreferences.ini file to "not happen."

One work-around which should work -- I'll stick a copy of my UserPreferences.ini file over on my website. You can download it into your directory and you should then have a "starting" .ini file. Any changes you make will, until this particular problem is fixed, need to be made "by hand editing" that .ini file.
It is nothing but a plain text file, so simply duplicate it before you edit it.

This file is from a 27 inch iMac running in a large window with all graphics settings on high.

You can download the file from my website -- go to the bottom of the page.

http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRO/index.html

This is probably a real bug with WINE. I've submitted a ticket on the issue and we'll see what folks find.

The clean termination issue is cleared by upgrading to OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) -- which also required CrossOver 11.2.

PyLotRO and LOTRO now terminate cleanly, and the UserPreferences.ini file again updates normally.

(That file is only written on termination of the client.)

I have that same issue but the UserPreferences.ini was there before I edited it and now it is no where to be found but the settings have been saved. Its like its hidden but I can't find it anywhere!!! I am using Lion too.

Javier wrote:

I have that same issue but the UserPreferences.ini was there before
I edited it and now it is no where to be found but the settings have
been saved. Its like its hidden but I can't find it anywhere!!! I
am using Lion too.

Hmmm... for me it's right where it has always been: <user>/Documents/The Lord of the Rings On Line/UserPreferences.ini

The main thing I notice -- Quit -- takes "forever."

First, the game itself takes an incredibly long time to "finish."

Then it goes to the infamous black screen for a minute or so.

Then finally the "PyLotRO" box pop-up, and about another minute later it finally flashes "Finished -- at which point you can simply click exit.96

The easiest way to check -- simply change something, like the volume levels in the OPtions/Audio section. That will trigger the game to change the prefs file.
If you don't make any changes, the game won't try to save the file.

Javier wrote:

I have that same issue but the UserPreferences.ini was there before
I edited it and now it is no where to be found but the settings have
been saved. Its like its hidden but I can't find it anywhere!!! I
am using Lion too.

Just had one of those -- boy that coffee tastes good, now I'm awake" -- thoughts.

Did you edit the prefs file using TextEdit?
Did you do a "save" or duplicate and save?

(Changing shirts from my CodeWeaver's to Apple's -- and keeping my Turbine shirt at close hand, but that's covered by NDA at the moment!)

Mountain Lion, even more so than Lion, is not only "cloud based," but intent upon using certain aspects of "cloudism" in everything it does.

One aspect of "cloudism" which is talked about in depth in a couple of the "in-depth" (typically several pages worth) reviews of Mountain Lion -- file ownership and storage.

Under Mountain Lion, files are associated with the application which modifies them, not with the "flat file" structure as in the past. Part of this is related to search and part to making them available across multiple platforms. This concept is, in fact, quite revolutionary. If you launch TextEdit by itself (clicking on the application), you get an idea what this is all about as it announces "Textedit for iCloud." You don't see this if you launch a .txt document on your desktop, or select TextEdit to open the .ini file. When you stop and think about it, the implication is clear -- the file really is not where you expect it to be! The "nasty" thing is that within the Apple context, the file really looks like where you think it is (unless you have a slow Internet connection.)

The default save location for TextEdit is "Documents" ... NOT "Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online" -- see if the file is on level up.
A simple "save" should not change location, but duplicate and save as will! (Especially if you are like me and assume that the selections offered up as "defaults" represent where you were, not where Apple wants them to be.

You can check "spotlight" and see if it finds the UserPreferences file. To find out where that file is located, under ML, you need to highlight the entry you want to "find", then Press and Hold the Cmd key until the file name and location scrolls into the "preview" box. The new procedure is annoying.

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ1hBSk01clRuWUw3MkhzOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9