Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Freezing

Hello so I was currently doing some quests in Lone-Lands and my lotro game file froze and its still frozen and I am wondering if there is a log file i can post on here. Also happens that I have 11.0 for Swtor due to the new updates not fixing the issues of it "unsupported build" btw.

Jeff

Sadly, the probability is that a data file is corrupted. No way of knowing or finding out and replacing it that I am aware of.

The only "fix" is a complete re-install. :(

Yeah thanks Will I am hoping it was just this only time but still having issues on other games.

I am encountering this freezing problem as well. Often it happens when a skill panel pops up during combat. The combat continues, but no commands or mouse clicks actions work. So my character stands there and gets beaten on until it is defeated. This could be a LUA issue, but it is intermittent enough that I can't be sure.

So when you recommend full reinstall, do you mean full reinstall of a new bottle and LOTRO/PyLOTRO or a full reinstall of CrossOver using an archived bottle, or wiping everything and starting from scratch ?

sg

Steven Grant wrote:

I am encountering this freezing problem as well. Often it happens
when a skill panel pops up during combat. The combat continues, but
no commands or mouse clicks actions work. So my character stands
there and gets beaten on until it is defeated. This could be a LUA
issue, but it is intermittent enough that I can't be sure.

So when you recommend full reinstall, do you mean full reinstall of
a new bottle and LOTRO/PyLOTRO or a full reinstall of CrossOver
using an archived bottle, or wiping everything and starting from
scratch ?

This particular freeze is probably a Java issue. I'm not completely certain what parts of the Turbine client use Java, but I also see assorted freezes when opening various game panels - Crafting, Friends, etc. I'm not certain what you mean by "skill panel," unless you are referring to ToolTips.

These all may or may not be Java related, but they are definitely I/O related - how much is local I/O vs Network I/O, I'm not certain, but I know that both are involved.

I use the following Luas regularly (i.e. always loaded by Turbine Lua Manager):
BuffBars
Tonic Bars
AltTracker
AltInventory
MooreMap
Travel
LOTRO Compendium

Steven Grant wrote:

So when you recommend full reinstall, do you mean full reinstall of
a new bottle and LOTRO/PyLOTRO or a full reinstall of CrossOver
using an archived bottle, or wiping everything and starting from
scratch ?

There are always multiple levels of re-install that "might work."

1- It is highly probable that CrossOver itself is not the issue. It would tend to fail in a very different fashion.

2- An archived bottle is probably not worth the effort, unless you have had one around for a considerable amount of time.
For one thing, the LOTRO bottle will be roughly 23 Gig in Size, and the Archived bottle only very slightly smaller. (And it takes a LONG time to create.)
In particular, the issue here is likely "fragmentation" -- their size alone predicts this, unless you created them on separate drives with virtually nothing else.

3- You can always create multiple bottles under CrossOver -- especially if you are using a separate disk drive to hold them. Again, they ARE BIG.

All that said, the first thing to try is a complete re-install of LORO using CrossTie. Ideally, on an external disk drive to avoid the fragmentation issue.
LOTRO does a LOT of i/O swapping graphic "blocks" as you move across the landscape. These "blocks" are in fact fairly small -- on a straight line walk, you can cross one in about a minute or less. Normally, you don't notice, but they are noticeable if you know what you are looking for. The size of your vram doesn't really effect this unless you are wandering back and forth, i.e. if you have to load a new block from disk, vram won't help you. Note that this is a different issue than Raiding or the Moors where the Graphics Card performance itself is being taxed.

The second issue has to do with "cruft" in the OS.
This is potentially an issue if you have upgraded your system from say, Tiger, to Snow Leopard, to Lion.
Tiger to Snow Leopard was particularly traumatic. A HUGE number of changes required many application programs to be re-written.
This was a particular problem with Third Party programs ported from Windows to the Mac. Those programs tend to make all kinds of hack-changes in all kinds of strange places AND never remove them, even if they have un-installers (which most don't).
A similar issue exists with the SnowLeopard to Lion upgrade.
This particular problem has to do mostly with any third-party app that is "A/V" related.

I encountered this issue long ago and completely wiping the disk and re-installing Snow Leopard solved the problem. (Note this is a pretty extreme solution, but often the only one which works. )

Jeff, when you say 'freezing' do you mean the game is now always frozen or does it just freeze in a certain area or just randomly freezes?

If it's random freezing then I doubt a reinstall will fix the problem.

I get random freezing myself where I can turn my toon but can't move and nothing around me moves. Chat still works (most of the time but that sometimes too goes south). All I can do is exit the game.

The freezing seems to happen when entering or leaving and instance or building. Lately I've tried dismounting before entering or leaving and that 'seems' to help. Some people have posted that turning down the video resolution may help as well.

The times where this has happened I logged in the machine via ssh and ran 'top'. The core running the game was at 102% cpu utilization. I've never let it run for more than 5 minutes before exiting the game so I don't know if it's in an infinite loop or just busy doing 'stuff' or waiting for something.

Every now and then the whole window hangs,I play full screen under Ubuntu 10.04 and all of a sudden the game gets windowed and the focus to it gone. All I can do is right click on the game on the task bar and select close.

I haven't upgraded to the Current 11.2 and and still running 10.1 because 11.02 is only rated as Silver.

Not sure if any of this helps, but it may save you from a lengthy reinstall(although this thread is several months old).

Cheers.

Frank Bernhardt wrote:

Jeff, when you say 'freezing' do you mean the game is now always
frozen or does it just freeze in a certain area or just randomly
freezes?

If it's random freezing then I doubt a reinstall will fix the
problem.

I get random freezing myself where I can turn my toon but can't move
and nothing around me moves. Chat still works (most of the time but
that sometimes too goes south). All I can do is exit the game.

"Random Freezing" or "hitching" are common problems related to the way in which the game engine is designed (amongst other things). They are a constant complaint on the various LOTRO Forums.

Basically, the client running on your machine is in CONSTANT communication with the Turbine servers. It does this using UDP. I'm assuming everybody knows the implications of that and don't really feel like trying to explain it in a short post. It does take a lot of background knowledge to understand in detail. UDP is not "guaranteed delivery" and can result in a lot of "retransmission" and "error correction."

Suffice it to say, the "freeze" and "hitch" issue can have many different "parents." -- Network communication is one of them, meaning your ISP can be doing it to you. Passing information back and forth increases in volume when you enter and leave "instances" -- those shimmery doorways. While the graphics data files reside on your machine, the "state" information is passed back and forth as you move. Various issues with your own machine can also cause all sorts of related issues -- the amount of memory in use by other programs on your system, the speed (and fragmentation) of your hard drive, etc.

Any time chat fails, you have lost communication with the Servers, or it has become intermittent. If you turn on communications monitoring in the Options panel (Options/UI/under Panels -- "Show Connection status in alert Panel", you will see a "chain link" on your screen. That link is normally "whole" and "green. If you start having SERIOUS communications problems, it will turn yellow and show a partially broken link. If it fails completely it will turn red, and shortly after that, you get the black screen message "you have lost connection to the server." I say "SERIOUS" here, because the game client is a VERY poor monitor of what is happening -- it has "better things to do." If you mouse over the link it will give you a packet loss number, that may or may not reflect what is CURRENTLY happening. It seems to lag pretty extensively. Probably with a fairly long timer, but I've never bothered to look. (NOte that this is a very different monitor than the FPS - Frames Per Second - display.)

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZEZXUG03cXBodVdoWFlaaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9