Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

LOTRO in CX11

So i just upgraded to CX11, and read that you can boot the game straight out of the normal Turbine launcher, but when i migrated my bottles, i can't boot it through turbine.... does this mean i have to do a clean install of it?

also my LOTRO Store was black before and after the upgrade, but it worked yesterday. What gives?

Daniel

Daniel Facini wrote:

So i just upgraded to CX11, and read that you can boot the game
straight out of the normal Turbine launcher, but when i migrated my
bottles, i can't boot it through turbine.... does this mean i have
to do a clean install of it?

I don't know where you read that, but it is simply not true.

The Turbine Launcher requires .net 4 which CrossOver (WINE 1.4) does not support.

Daniel Facini wrote:

also my LOTRO Store was black before and after the upgrade, but it
worked yesterday. What gives?

Never heard of any problems with the LOTRO Store.

What operating system are you running and what version of Crossover?

11.2 is the current version of CrossOVer, results with any earlier version are unpredictable.

Latest Crossover with OS X 10.6.8

Also, i read it under tips and tricks. Here's a direct quote of it all.

"Now Turbine launcher works as it should, one can launch Lotro directly using the normal icon.
But there may be issues with patching sometimes and the patching process hangs and do nothing in the "Examine data files" step.

It this happens to you, use Pylotro to patch the game as before (Tools->Patch and click Start button).

Then you can launch the game through Pylotro or just use the Turbine launcher.
Pylotro is faster and ads free but choice is up to one's tastes :)"

Daniel Facini wrote:

Also, i read it under tips and tricks. Here's a direct quote of it
all. ...

I have to say, I have not seen that "Tip" before, even though it was created back in March.

To the best of my knowledge and experience, that tip is 90+% untrue.

According to Wine HQ, a couple of people who are using the latest "git" versions of WINE on certain versions of Linux have been able to tweek WINE so that it will run the Turbine Launcher. There have been several people claim that it works, and just as many claim that they can't get it to work.

CrossOver use WINE 1.4 which does NOT support .net4 which is what the Launcher requires.

To quote from WINE HQ...

Running on 1.5.1 all I had to install was dotnet11 and gdiplus to
make the official launcher work. If I saw the comment on gdiplus
earlier it may have been ok in 1.4.0, too... (without gdiplus the
launcher froze during initialization)

Another pitfall, although it may be obvious (well, at least for me
it wasn't):
On x64 systems you need to have the 32bit SSL libraries installed.
This took me some time to figure out as the PyLoTRO launcher
obviously does not need them.

William H. Magill wrote:

I have to say, I have not seen that "Tip" before, even though it was
created back in March.

To the best of my knowledge and experience, that tip is 90+% untrue.

According to Wine HQ, a couple of people who are using the latest
"git" versions of WINE on certain versions of Linux have been able
to tweek WINE so that it will run the Turbine Launcher. There have
been several people claim that it works, and just as many claim that
they can't get it to work.

CrossOver use WINE 1.4 which does NOT support .net4 which is what
the Launcher requires.

Actually, that tip is very accurate for Linux users. The Lord of the Rings Online Turbine launcher works exceptionally well in most cases on Linux and has since well before March. Unfortunately it is not perfect for everyone so using PyLotro is still necessary (and highly convenient) in many cases.

Further, the Turbine Launcher is still horribly broken for Mac users.

I see that you've adjusted the tip... but I'm going to have to do more editing with it and I apologize in advance both to you and the original creator of the tip.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR2VjeUdFSnVKbkVVd1J1VSIsImdkcHIiOjB9