Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

LotRO itself not installing

I'm running off the trial version of CrossOver, through which I've successfully installed PyLotRO.
The problem is when I go to install LotRO itself. It installs in all of 10 seconds, which can't be right, even though I get the "installation successful" message. The installer menu doesn't pop up afterward like (I think) it should. When I go into PyLotRO's Settings Wizard to do the whole Find Games business, nothing happens – it's like clicking a dead link. I'm thinking there should be a Turbine folder somewhere that holds the LotRO app itself, and that definitely doesn't exist. Can anyone offer any input on this?

EDIT: Perhaps worthy of note, in CrossOver when I choose Lord of the Rings Online from the Community Supported Apps dropdown list, I get the error note, "The install cannot continue because one or more dependencies are not installed, and an installer could not be found automatically." Doesn't matter how I set up the bottle, which installer I use (standard or high), or where I put the installer file itself, it's always the same. But I can get the faker too-short download to go through if I choose "Other Application."

Having the EXACT same problem, would love for someone to help us out!

Same issue here, could install just fine first, but now on a new mac it says 'The install cannot continue because one or more dependencies are not installed and an installer could not be found automatically'. Manual install doesn't work either..

First question -- are you using CrossTie installer -- it doesn't sound like it.

Second question -- what OS are you talking about OSX or Linux, and if Linux, which version.

The second issue may be that Microsoft has removed a number of old "support" packages from their website.

What particular components are being complained about and by whom, i.e. which installer is generating the error?

And I should add --

If you read through the Tips and Tricks section, It should make it clear that the installer of LOTRO takes about 6 hours to download! (6.5 hours on a 6meg DSL line.)

The Installers provided by Turbine use PMB - Pando Media Booster -- a torrent style downloader.
The "bootstrap" is quick and only a couple of K in size. It then (should) launches the PMB, which does the download work.
After the Download is completed, the actual Turbine Installer is invoked to install the game -- another 45 minutes to multiple hours, depending on your system.

William H. Magill wrote:

First question -- are you using CrossTie installer -- it doesn't
sound like it.

Second question -- what OS are you talking about OSX or Linux, and
if Linux, which version.

The second issue may be that Microsoft has removed a number of old
"support" packages from their website.

What particular components are being complained about and by whom,
i.e. which installer is generating the error?

1. I am using the CrossTie installer, clicking the big green "Install LotRO via CrossTie installer button." I've also downloaded the CrossTie file and tried to install manually, but that DEFINITELY doesn't work.

2. I'm running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and CrossOver 11.2

3. I never get to the PMB installer. I guess it's downloading the bootstrap, then not launching the PMB installer like it should. But I'm not getting any kind of error message about it.

EDIT: To help clarify, since I'm a visual person, all the barber-pole progress going on in the following image... this doesn't happen for me.
http://www.codeweavers.com/images/docs/en/images.mac/installwizard-installing.png

I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it's installing now. The only thing that I did that I think has a direct correlation was that I downloaded a couple of support components, then restarted CrossOver.

I don't remember which ones made it through (some weren't installable for some reason), but I downloaded from this list:
Core Fonts
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Microsoft Visual Basic 6 Service Pack 6 Runtime
Microsoft XML Parser 3.0
msls31
Windows OLE Components

Here's a screenshot of where they're located, for those having the same problem:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/?action=attach;file=4runtime.png

I downloaded all those yesterday evening, but didn't actually shut down CrossOver until much later. When I went to launch PyLoTRO this morning, CrossOver acted like it didn't exist, so I went through the installation process AGAIN, this time simply choosing LotRO from the Community Supported dropdown. Lo and behold, it actually gave me the option to install, and I did, and it is. Go figure. I hope you guys are able to get it to work as well.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidlk4dnJuY2tYeTV0eDJxRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9