Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't install Lotro with New crossover

Hey,

I posted yesterday about lotro not loading past the white box. I found out that I needed the newest version to make it work. I downloaded a trial of the newest version and attempted to instal lotro several times (with crosstie), each time failing in several different ways. I did not have any problems a few months ago with the install but now am. Anyone else having these problems?

I have exactly the same problem. Any solutions?

Microsoft recently removed a number of the "components" used in the LOTRO install from "public" access.

I assume that the Crosstie is now failing because it cannot find those components.
I don't know anything about the Crosstie installer and am not the one who maintains it, so I can't fix it.

In any case, LOTRO on Crossover is being hit with a triple-whammie:
1- Microsoft's actions to remove certain kits from availability
2- Apple's update to 10.8.2
And the one you have not seen yet as it is still in Beta
3- Turbine's Riders of Rohan Update -- which has two items of particular concern, at least to Mac players.

First the good news.Turbine will be releasing a new native Mac Client at the time of the Riders of Rohan release. This client does work quite well and supports OpenGL as opposed to Microsoft's DX graphics.

Now the bad news; which is also not good news for either Codeweavers or Wine... Turbine has made significant changes to the technology involved in the Game engine, as of the latest release of Beta 5, (Beta 6 is due on 10/1) the Windows Client does not run under any version of WINE, i.e. Crossover.

William H. Magill wrote:

First the good news.Turbine will be releasing a new native Mac
Client at the time of the Riders of Rohan release. This client does
work quite well and supports OpenGL as opposed to Microsoft's DX
graphics.

Do you know if it is a "real" client... Or just windows code in a Cider/WINE wrapper? Cuz, we already got that through the hard work of CW.

p.s. Some lone random person in the lotro forms stated it was NOT Cider. Can you verify?

Harry Davis wrote:

William H. Magill wrote:

First the good news.Turbine will be releasing a new native Mac
Client at the time of the Riders of Rohan release. This client
does
work quite well and supports OpenGL as opposed to Microsoft's DX
graphics.

Do you know if it is a "real" client... Or just windows code in a
Cider/WINE wrapper? Cuz, we already got that through the hard work
of CW.

p.s. Some lone random person in the lotro forms stated it was NOT
Cider. Can you verify?

Yes, it is a complete Mac Client.

Also, as of Beta 5, the Windows client DOES NOT WORK under any known version of WINE.

William H. Magill wrote:

Yes, it is a complete Mac Client.

Good to know. :) i'll have to dust off my lifetime membership and start tormenting goblins again!

Thank's for the replys guys.

I finally got it to work with crossover. I had to try SEVERAL times. It appears each time I pressed the crosstie link it would do something different. The last time it still had some errors but eventually worked. I am unable to make it run windowed however but at least I can play.

Each time I tried I uninstalled crossover and lotro.

I just hope it sticks... Just last week I spend $99 on the year VIP so this was rather upsetting!

Good Luck and if you figure anything else out please post it.

Hi,

same goes for me, it's been a while I try to debug this but apparently the .NET runtime 1.1 is now broken and does not install properly in Crossover Linux, at least in my tests.

I did not ran into any issue with execution components no more available but .NET 1.1 install fails miserably :
"Application has generated and exception that could not be handled"...
thus effectively making the launcher unusable :(

Anyone was able to reproduce this error ?

I am having a slightly different issue.

Here is the series of events as they occurred:

1. I previously installed LoTRO under Codeweavers and played for about a year successfully (ending in January 2012)
  2. Decided to re-install Codeweavers (with old version) and play LoTRO again on a new computer
  3. After running into multiple issues installing the bottle itself (3 attempts), I decided to upgrade to the latest version of Codeweavers (12.0.0)
  4. After upgrading to the latest version, I had no issues installing the bottle, but once LoTRO was approximately 5 hours into the download/install (via CrossOver), I received a "fatal error" message, but no details would ever display
  5. I have consequently attempted to install (via CrossOver) (3 attempts) with identical results each time
  6. Contacted support and was directed here ... any assistance is greatly appreciated

S/F

JDH

UPDATE: I just learned that there was an official LoTRO Mac Client. I just finished downloading it and will give it a go. :)

Hosch wrote:

I am having a slightly different issue.

1. After running into multiple issues installing the bottle itself
    (3 attempts), I decided to upgrade to the latest version of
    Codeweavers (12.0.0)
  2. After upgrading to the latest version, I had no issues installing
    the bottle, but once LoTRO was approximately 5 hours into the
    download/install (via CrossOver), I received a "fatal error"
    message, but no details would ever display

UPDATE: I just learned that there was an official LoTRO Mac Client.
I just finished downloading it and will give it a go. :)

3- Correct. You MUST have Crossover 12 to run LOTRO since the Riders of Rohan update.
4- I believe that the failure is occurring AFTER the download completes and PMB is attempting to Launch the Client.

You can probably use the Confgure -- "Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu" pulldown.
After that you should see "PyLotRO" in the programs menu. Launch it, configure it, then you should be good to go.
See: CrossOver and PyLotRO info

As for the Mac client: See Mac Client documentation

Pascal ROBINET wrote:

same goes for me, it's been a while I try to debug this but
apparently the .NET runtime 1.1 is now broken and does not install
properly in Crossover Linux, at least in my tests.

I did not ran into any issue with execution components no more
available but .NET 1.1 install fails miserably :
"Application has generated and exception that could not be
handled"...
thus effectively making the launcher unusable :(

Anyone was able to reproduce this error ?

The basic problem is that .Net 1.1 no longer exists independently. You need to install some later version, which will install the necessary 1.1 parts.

I don't deal with the CrossTie installer so I can't tell you exactly what parts are needed, or how to modify it.

Check over at: WINE HQ - LOTRO.

Works here fine.

i installed it via crosstie. during the installation it broke up. i hit again the cross tie button and installed it in the same bottle as before. And it downloaded it till the end. During the installation i had to download again the the new client from lotro.com and also installed it in the same bottle.

NOW it works perfectly.

uuu wrote:

Works here fine.

i installed it via crosstie. during the installation it broke up. i
hit again the cross tie button and installed it in the same bottle
as before. And it downloaded it till the end. During the
installation i had to download again the the new client from
lotro.com and also installed it in the same bottle.

NOW it works perfectly.

This is basically the current scenario.

With CrossOver 12 (and 12.1), the CrossTie does "hic-up" at the end. However, the actual PMB Client download has completed at that point and control has been passed off to the Turbine Installer -- which successfully runs to completion before it also "hic-ups."

Neither of those "hic-ups" are fatal. The respective parts have all completed, and they "hic-up" occurs at "clean-up."

As for the Turbine Launcher. It still does not work in WINE and therefore CX and WINE itselff still require the use of PyLotRO.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiazg3MnBONkVzQTd4OUJ2ZSIsImdkcHIiOjB9