Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

turbine to release official OS X client

Massively reports that Turbine is releasing an official Mac OS X client. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/22/lotro-lifts-rohan-nda-unveils-mac-client/

Rumors also hint that a DDO (Dungeon and Dragon's Online) client may be in the works as well. Nothing on official client for Linux that I can find.

Shane Knysh wrote:

Massively reports that Turbine is releasing an official Mac OS X
client.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/22/lotro-lifts-rohan-nda-unveils-mac-client/

Rumors also hint that a DDO (Dungeon and Dragon's Online) client may
be in the works as well. Nothing on official client for Linux that I
can find.

That is correct. I have been beta testing it since the Riders of Rohan Beta began.

It is a full Mac Port, not Cider, Wineskin or similar travesty, and it works quite well. It is full OpenGL support, not DX. Only supported under Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8). And, needless to say, it will only run on those Macs which are capable of running those versions. NO Snow Leopard support!

At this time (we just started Beta 5.3 last night - 9/27) both clients, the Mac Client and the Windows Client still have serious crash to desktop issues. This is the main reason why the release of RoR was delayed until 15 October.

Riders of Rohan marks is a series of significant technology changes, not just upgrades to the Game Engine itself, hence the crash issues.
(It does run under ML 10.8.2.)

As of Beta 5, (I have not verified it yet with 5.3, which is patching as I type), the Riders of Rohan Client is not known to run under ANY version of Wine -- on Mac or Linux.

As for a DDO client, I would assume that will follow the LOTRO Client, once the bugs are worked out. DDO, in fact, had some of the underlying changes implemented back in the spring, apparently as "testing" for inclusion in LOTRO. While similar game engines, LORO is a much more demanding environment than DDO.

That's awesome!

My brother said something about it but I don't have the expansion needed to play it. Does anyone know what it will be available for anyone?

Stephanie wrote:

My brother said something about it but I don't have the expansion
needed to play it. Does anyone know what it will be available for
anyone?

You are mixing apples and oranges. The Riders of Rohan expansion has nothing to do with the Mac Client.

The game distribution contains ALL content. License keys provided by your account login determine which portions of the content you have access to.

Additionally, even Free to Play (F2P) players have access to portions of the Expansion content. The RoR content is all level 75+ so that alone serves as a limiting factor.

I should also add, once Riders of Rohan is released, if you update via PyLotRO, at least as of the current beta, you will no longer be able to use Codeweavers Crossover (or any version of WINE) to play LOTRO. You will have to download the new Mac Client to continue playing. Obviously, this situation can change over the next two weeks until the release on 15 October.

Any further ETA on the native Mac client?

Harry Davis wrote:

Any further ETA on the native Mac client?

Nope... I'm hoping the week before thanksgiving.

Looks like the open beta may be starting tomorrow.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNWNldmRRNFhYMmVMdVpNTCIsImdkcHIiOjB9