Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

LotRO Linux using Native .Net Launcher/Patcher/Login Application

Sorry if this is Duplicate information, I searched and didn't find anything quite like it. So here goes...

Upon having problems with the LOTRO TIE & Pando Media accelerator I decided to fire up VMware (running windows 7 in VM) and use it to download the 15GB of installation files. After the download was finished I moved the installation files to my Desktop. Next I manually made a bottle in crossover 12.1.2 and installed ONLY LotRO into it. In addition to the game the installer installed .NET 1.1, .NET 1.1 SP 1 and .NET 2.0. These were the only things that were installed into the bottle.

After installation finished I absent mindedly double clicked on the shortcut it put on my Ubuntu Desktop. Lo and Behold it started the LOTRO native launcher/patcher/login application. The application started to download the loading screens and then started to patch the game. Patching took about 10 mins and then went to the login portion of the application. I put in my info and it logged in to the server selection area. I chose my server and the launcher handed off the login to the game binary. I was floored tht it worked. Below is a video I made of the launcher working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k54tvZB3lkY&feature=youtu.be

My relevent system specs are:
Ubuntu 13.04 daily build
Crossover 12.1.2
Intel i7 CPU
16GB RAM
GeForce 660Ti

Correct. The Turbine Launcher will now work under certain versions of Linux. (Off hand i don't know which ones.)
However, PyLotRO does still work.

Update 11 is apparently scheduled to hit Bullroarer next week (22-28 April 2013).... included are:

[QUOTE=Fredelas;6756084]The updated launcher is planned to release with Update 11. We will have more details next week when it becomes available for public testing on Bullroarer.

The main change to the launcher for Windows PC users is that it will no longer rely on the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. This framework can be problematic to install on newer versions of Windows, and mainstream support for it from Microsoft ended in October 2008.

You shouldn't have to take any special action to get the launcher to work. The launcher is already capable of updating itself and shouldn't require a reinstall of the game.

Edit: Here's a link to the post describing a few of the features of Update 11: [url]http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?507799-Update-11&p=6755068#post6755068[/url][/QUOTE]

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiM0tac21xUlNhcnh3d0NWUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9