Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossTie currently failing, probably due to new distribution method

Having just tried to reinstall LotRO in a new install of Crossover, the CrossTie installer is failing due to being unable to download the Pando Media Booster. This is probably because they are now using "...a non-peer-to-peer version of the Akamai NetSession client for the LOTRO launcher...".

I'm going to give it a go with just downloading the new installer straight from the website. Hopefully, it will work, and someone with more of an idea about creating CrossTies can update it later.

Yes, PMB (Pando) was dropped by EVERYBODY -- Two items 1- Pando as a company was "bought out" last year. 2- about 2 months ago a major security issue was discovered with PMB and EVERYBODY stopped using it.

I don't know how to update a CrossTie file and Codeweavers themselves no longer support LOTRO since the Mac Client became available.

Theoretically, the current download at LOTRO.com "should work," but I don't know.

I haven't tried the PC download, however, the Mac Download, uses the HappyCloud interface but the data source is the Akamai cloud.

The Mac Client, by the way, does work "well." It has a problem for many people in that it has a MTBF (crash to desktop) of about 45-60 minutes. Apparently because of a memory leak in the client.
Otherwise, the client has no problems. Check out the Mac Technical Support Forum at the main LOTRO forums (lotro.com) down at the bottom.
Also see: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Mac_Client
for more information. It really needs to be "cleaned up," but I just haven't gotten around to it.

One last point. PyLotRO is no longer needed as the actual Turbine Launcher does now work in WINE. However, PyLotRO does still work.

Unfortunately, the Mac client is no use to me, as I'm using Linux. Ditto for using Steam to get the files - "This game is not available for your platform".

I'll try to dig out my other (soon to be got rid of) laptop with Win7 on it, and use that to get the installer.

Visit: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29436 for the current status of LOTRO on Linux/WINE

For details on how to install WINE and LOTRO see: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=26934.

FYI, Codeweavers provides the basic support for WineHQ.

I should add, At this time, I do not know of any "stand-alone" source for a LOTRO download since the changes were made on 14 April.

Well, I appear to have just downloaded and installed LotRO with no problems. I updated to the latest Crossover (13.1.3 for Debian etc.), and wandered over to the LotRO download page, where there is now a different link, listed as "PC Download", which previously just was a link to the Happy Cloud stuff. It now points to http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientdl/lotro/lotrolive.exe, which appears to be the Akamai Net Session installer. I downloaded it, created a new generic WinXP bottle, and it just worked 😎

I've not actually tried playing it yet, but having left it overnight to download all of the files and updates, it is now getting me as far as the Choose Character screen.

Sup guys,

my GF commanded me to download and install LOTRO for her again.

So it has been written, and so it shall be done.

I am downloading it via Steam right now. I can verify the issue you guys were having with the Crosstie (screenshot, error), so I will be testing the game via Steam. I have the power to update the Crosstie, but I have to gather more information and test a few things first.

I will try the Steam installation of the game first - and then the manual download via the website. I will be testing the game on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit and on openSUSE 13.1 64-bit via Crossover 13.2.0.

Will get back to you guys ASAP.

Cheers,
Alex

That's odd. I tried installing it via Steam when I had the initial problem, and it claimed it wasn't available on my platform (which is why I was a bit annoyed about it).

My installation (using Crossover) is still working (mostly - I have a mouse control problem, but I'm not sure what the actual cause is - GNOME seems to be grabbing the mouse clicks, not LotRO), and updating nicely. I'm not getting much chance to play at the moment, though, so I haven't had time to diagnose the problem (although I've just downloaded Crossover 14.1.1 in case that fixes it).

Alan Sermons wrote:

That's odd. I tried installing it via Steam when I had the initial
problem, and it claimed it wasn't available on my platform (which is
why I was a bit annoyed about it).

Steam's distribution of LOTRO IS country limited. I don't know what countries are restricted other than to say, the most complaints I have seen are from Eastern Europe or Russian (would-be) players.

There was a great flurry of activity about 2 weeks ago when the Russian LOTRO provider announced that their license was expiring and they were not planning to renew it, and therefore would shut down their servers on 1 June 2015. WB/Turbine is still scrambling to deal with that issue as their planned move of EU servers from Boston to Amsterdam is still several months (August maybe) in the future.

Alan Sermons wrote:

My installation (using Crossover) is still working (mostly - I have
a mouse control problem, but I'm not sure what the actual cause is -
GNOME seems to be grabbing the mouse clicks, not LotRO), and
updating nicely. I'm not getting much chance to play at the moment,
though, so I haven't had time to diagnose the problem (although I've
just downloaded Crossover 14.1.1 in case that fixes it).

I'm still using Crossover 14.1.1 on my Mac as an alternative mechanic to the Mac Client. It is an old installation and still uses PyLotRO to patch and then the Mac Client Launcher to actually launch the game -- the Client Launcher does not (cannot?) patch. I just haven't spent the time necessary to debug the entire process. And haven't tried to use the Crossover installer for a while.

Alan Sermons wrote:

That's odd. I tried installing it via Steam when I had the initial
problem, and it claimed it wasn't available on my platform (which is
why I was a bit annoyed about it).

-- GNOME seems to be grabbing the mouse clicks, not LotRO), and
updating nicely..

Duh - ignore my comment about countries. :(

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYVRaY0NienZ2UDd5Y0xnSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9