Lord of the Rings Online Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Linux 17.3 canot launch game Can you help? Is problem opengl related?

I am using the trial version of crossover for linux mint 17.3

As a free to play Lotro player I would be willing to pay good money to play. Using wine (various versions) I login and get as far as the screen before the character screen before it crashes. In wine config I have to use opengl as using directx prior to login gives me a grey error box telling me to change resolution or bit depth. At least with opengl I can get a bit further.

I thought crossover may be able to help but i am having the following problems. I hope they can be solved within the 14 days of my free trial.
I choose instaler folder option as I already have lotro complete files: /home/myname/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Lotro/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/The Lord of the Rings Online
The next crossover screen says;

CROSSOVER IS REAY TO INSTALL
[b]Limited Functionality 3 stars
The following issues may prevent this application from working. Please follow the links to see how to resolve them:
OpenGL has no floating point texture support: This is needed to run games using floating point textures.[/b]
[b]
I click on install anyway to receive the following message:
An error occurred while installing Lord of the Rings Online
Unable to find an installer for Lord of the Rings Online in '/home/myname/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Lotro/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/The Lord of the Rings Online'[/b]

I click try again, same as above
I click skip this step and finsh
DEBUG LOG SAYS

[b]Installing: Lord of the Rings Online
Locale: en-gb
Bottle: Lord_of_the_Rings_Online
From file: /home/myname/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Lotro/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/The Lord of the Rings Online

CrossOver Linux 15.1.0
Install location: /opt/cxoffice
32-bit OS
Desktop session: mate
Window manager: Metacity (Marco)
Locale: en_GB.UTF-8

Contents of /etc/os-release:
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="14.04.3 LTS, Trusty Tahr"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS"
VERSION_ID="14.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"

cxdiag output:
[MissingLibCapi20]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libcapi20.so.3 library"
"Description"="Provides support for some ISDN cards. Very few applications need this."

[MissingLibOsmesa]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="Missing 32bit libOSMesa.so.8 library"
"Description"="This is needed by some games and CAD-like applications to perform off-screen rendering."

[Properties]
"display.depth"="24"

[Properties]
"opengl.vendor"="Intel Open Source Technology Center"

[Properties]
"opengl.version"="1.4 Mesa 10.5.9"

[Properties]
"opengl.renderer"="Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2"

[Properties]
"opengl.ghlsl_version"="1.20"[/b]

[OpenglNoTextureFloat]
"Level"="Recommend"
"Title"="OpenGL has no floating point texture support"
"Description"="This is needed to run games using floating point textures."

[OpenglNoGLSL130]
"Level"="Suggest"
"Title"="OpenGL shading language version is older than 1.30"
"Description"="This is needed for limited DirectX 10 support."

Using linux mint 17.3 Rosa
Launch lotro, automacticely downloads .net version 2.0, vcrun 2005, directx9.0
I login click window disappears and nothing happen lotro not visable in taskmanager
Have run again after deleting to make sure but same happens
Please help if you can before my trial runs out. Thx in advance

I had to uninstall LOTRO to free up some disk space so I'm reinstalling it now. The installer seems to be running fine and is downloading the files as I type this. I'll post back with results after the download/install completes.

My setup:
Intel i7-4770HQ
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200

Also note that there is a long standing bug with the launcher which may require you to restart the launcher multiple times before it will go all the way through patching and getting to the point where you can login. Once at that point everything works fine. This is without macking any changes to wine or the game config files. IE a straight up install using the tie file the crossover uses into a fresh bottle.

Just been told in lotro forum

OpenGL definitely doesn't work any more, the crash is exactly what I saw when I last tried to use OpenGL. I think it's been at least two or three years since you could use OpenGL.[i]

Is this correct I was playing lotro on this computer using winxp about 3 months ago

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?632176-How-to-do-fresh-install-in-Linux-17-3-In-what-order-are-things-done-and-which-files

OK the install finished and the game is running fine. I was even able to open the store witch had a but not long ago that caused a game crash.

Again I just did a clean install into a new bottle using the cross tie and everything worked. Keep in mind you many need to restart the launcher multiple times but once you get to the login you are golden.

Lucky you in gerting game to run. I hope some one will help me with the problems stated in my first post.

I'd love if you can help me out step by step

Here is my spec which I now know I should have mentioned in my first post

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Mate 32bit
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 520 @ 1.60GHz
Display Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2
Direct Rendering YES
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.4 Mesa 10.5.9
Multimedia Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Three to two months ago I was playing on this computer using winxp.

I think your problem is the opengl. Note I did a fresh install using the crosstie and it installs the following into the bottle.

DirectX 9 for Modern Games
Core Fonts
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (9.0) Redistributable
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+

Thx for reply
In wine config I have to use opengl as using directx prior to login gives me a grey error box telling me to change resolution or bit depth
I did try to install under crossover but must have done something wrong because after login window just disappeared.
Can i check with you. Do I leave my lotro files in /home/MYHOME/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Lotro/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/The Lord of the Rings Online?
Or should they be installed elsewhere.?
Also which file to I tell crossover to choose to launch? I chose turbinelauncher.exe.
Sorry for in depth question but I DO need a step by step approach as quite new to linux and very new to crossover.
I would love to get it working within my 14day trial because it would then be worth the money purchasing to be able to play. Im starting to have withdrawal symptoms!!!!!!

My recommendation is use Crossover and do an install of LOTRO into a new bottle. You many need to cancel the install if the Lotro launcher buggs out. Just use the Bottle -> Run Command to run the launcher in the bottle. You can also then setup a shortcut in the bottle to add the menu item to run the launcher. Just rerun the launcher via the new shortcut. It might take a few tries but it should start patching. Once it starts patching you can stop it and copy your previous install into .cxoffice/<bottle name>/drive_c/Program Files/Turbine/The Lord of the Rings Online.

Oh and before you do all this I'd backup and remove your Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online folder. This will make sure you are using the default settings etc.

Oh sorry yes it's TorbineLauncher.exe the to launch the game and patcher.

See this post about the launcher problems. It disappeared for me in Ubuntu 15.04 but is back now that I'm using Arch. Don't know what causes it but it doesn't effect game play once you get to the login screen just need to restart a few times to get there.

1 to 10 of 10

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiblo4NFN1UFlTSkdRR3pnNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9