Mass Effect Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Mouse cursor issues

I got the game to install and run when installing into a fresh bottle from the steam version. This all works fine, however the game fails to run once some other games are installed in the bottle. The game loads and runs perfectly except that the mouse does not appear to be registered by the game as a valid input. This is a bug in the Wine development, http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16822 and hopefully once that is fixed it can be implemented in the next Crossover Games release. I was running Crossover Games 8.0 on Mac OSX 10.6.1

Very nice. I have the CD version and like everyone else it fails on install. Maybe I should start buying some games through Steam :).

I have the same issue. Able to install and run from Steam, but no input is recognized. Hopefully this gets fixed soon! Running 8.1 on 10.6.2

If you use native dinput8.dll and make the override in winecfg - the mouse seems to work, but only to a certain extent - you still are unable to make 360 in a game. Wonder if there are any workarounds for that issue.

=== UPDATE

As it seems, using the windows native dinput8 doesn't really help but it gave hope. As it seems, wine has two great patches that combined seem to work quite nicely with Crossover Games 8.1 and the builtin dlls.

http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=19267 (needs small modifications to be applied to Crossover Games 8.1.0 sources)
http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=21554

After compiling custom winex11.drv.so and dinput.dll.so and placing them to Mass Effect\Binaries directory (renamed them to winex11.drv and dinput.dll respectively) I can see the game quite playable (fullscreen) as the input was the only major issue holding this title back. As the alternative files are only used when Mass Effect is being run it does not break anything else.

If you don't want to fiddle around with code you can download the two altered files from here (binaries), they were built under Mac OS X 10.6.2:

http://rapidshare.com/files/316665070/dinput.dll.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/316665071/winex11.drv.html

1. Make sure you don't use the native dll. If you have altered the overrides via winecfg just remove the overrides for dinput8 dll. If you haven't fiddled with the overrides in winecfg then ignore this step

2. Download the custom files from rapidshare and copy both files to Mass Effect\Binaries folder

3. Launch the MassEffect.exe from the Binaries folder

4. Enjoy a epic title.

The mouse is not perfect, but imho the title is quite playable with these patches.

Hi Exile. I just bought the game on sale on Steam. I was just wondering if you could upload the two files again. I think they might be broken. It would be much appreciated.

• Vincent

Looks promising! I'll have to apply this patch to the linux version and see if it works!

Hello Exile, the Rapidshare Links to the dinput.dll and the winex11.drv files seem to be down.
Could please you upload them again?
I seem to get the game almost running, apart from the input issue.

Hi,

I reposted the files to rapidshare:

http://rapidshare.com/files/337390659/dinput.dll.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/337390660/winex11.drv.html

Try them and let me know how they work for you...

Works fine ingame for me, but it seems to kill both keyboard AND mouse input when I click on configure from the launcher.

ETA: This is on MAC OS X 10.6.2, Crossover Games 8.1.4.

I did get around to creating a Tip for it, on how to compile your own dlls in Linux. Much of it should be similar on a Mac, I would guess.

I also included pre-compiled versions for x86 and amd64 Linux.

I've played for close to 20 hours, and I'm pretty happy with how it runs. The audio quality changes from session to session, but it's probably because I'm running it through the motherboard and not through a dedicated card. And I've had occasional freezes. Like four or five. Not bad in 20 hours, I suppose, but I'm certainly saving often because of it.

I know its probably annoying as hell, but I dont suppose you can repost the binary's for the mac version again for the technically incompetent amongst us could you? The two listed above do not work at all I'm afraid.

I actually managed to compile the dll file myself, however have a problem regarding the winex11 file, which although I have compiled prevents mass effect from launching at all. Removal of the file leads to a partially working mouse, but without 360degree movement. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Hmm ...

Well, if it hadn't compiled properly you wouldn't have gotten a winex11.drv file. So that's not it.

Did the patch get applied cleanly? It's possible that the source code has changed enough that the patching system doesn't know how to apply the whole thing. As of wine 1.1.35, the patch and the source for winex11.drv where still compatible. But we're now into 1.1.38 ...

Get a fresh copy of the winex11.drv source folder again, apply the patch and paste the command output here.

Let me know which wine version you're using. I'll try to patch the same version myself.

patching file dlls/winex11.drv/mouse.c
Hunk #4 succeeded at 1011 (offset 2 lines).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 1058 (offset 2 lines).

Is the output from the terminal after running the command patch -p1 < winex11.drv.diff.

I also don't know if its worth mentioning but while trying to compile wine I keep getting errors. On occasion it works flawlessly without any errors at all, as it did in the case of making winex11.drv.

I tried compiling again using both 1.1.38 and 1.1.35 and it happens in both cases, I tried compiling the two files multiple times today, and got the error a good 4 times, then it just compiled (after each error I would delete the wine folder and start from source and patch all over again). The error came up as:

../../tools/makedep  -C. -S../.. -T../..  bitblt.c bitmap.c brush.c clipboard.c codepage.c desktop.c dib.c dib_convert.c dib_dst_swap.c dib_src_swap.c event.c graphics.c ime.c init.c keyboard.c mouse.c opengl.c palette.c pen.c scroll.c settings.c systray.c text.c window.c wintab.c x11ddraw.c x11drv_main.c xdnd.c xfont.c xim.c xinerama.c xrandr.c xrender.c xvidmode.c  version.rc                
make: ../../tools/makedep: No such file or directory
make: [Makefile] Error 1 (ignored)
../../tools/makedep  -C. -S../.. -T../..  bitblt.c bitmap.c brush.c clipboard.c codepage.c desktop.c dib.c dib_convert.c dib_dst_swap.c dib_src_swap.c event.c graphics.c ime.c init.c keyboard.c mouse.c opengl.c palette.c pen.c scroll.c settings.c systray.c text.c window.c wintab.c x11ddraw.c x11drv_main.c xdnd.c xfont.c xim.c xinerama.c xrandr.c xrender.c xvidmode.c  version.rc                
make: ../../tools/makedep: No such file or directory
make: *** [depend] Error 1

Its certainly quite possible that it doesn't work because of some sort of problem on my end, sadly my complete lack of understanding of the terminal and its usage means I cant decipher the errors meaning. Also, for dependencies I was advised to download macports, and install wine from there, before deleting the wine application and then compile from source. I was told this would ensure I had everything I needed. Obviously I also installed xcode from the snow leopard dvd too. As I say though, it does eventually compile with no errors of any kind...

It looks to me like it should work, based on what you did. But maybe there are a few Mac-specific steps that I don't know about?

Any Mac coders around?

Repost of the compiled files:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oz1mgdmjyjq/winex11.drv
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c4uqyhonmym/dinput.dll

One reason why the winex11.drv might not work is if during the compilation and linking the X11 of the Mac OS X is used. CX Games comes bundled with its own set of X11 server which will be used. The winex11.drv you compiled might not be compatible with the built in version.. just a thought..

Hopefully the Mediafire will keep these files up a bit longer than rapidshare :)

Cheers

Cheers mate, working flawlessly now. Much appreciated!

Exile wrote:

Repost of the compiled files:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/oz1mgdmjyjq/winex11.drv
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c4uqyhonmym/dinput.dll

One reason why the winex11.drv might not work is if during the
compilation and linking the X11 of the Mac OS X is used. CX Games
comes bundled with its own set of X11 server which will be used. The
winex11.drv you compiled might not be compatible with the built in
version.. just a thought..

Hopefully the Mediafire will keep these files up a bit longer than
rapidshare :)

Cheers

Hello, I'm a complete mactard, I installed your two files, and while I must thank you since the mouse is now recognized by ME, I still have a problem : I can navigate in the menus, even in "aiming mode" the mouse is perfectly responsive, but in "free view", meaning in the basic view, when not aiming and whether or not the weapon is drawn, the response of the camera to the mouse movements is very chaotic hieratic. Any idea what may be the problem and how to solve it ? It's really barely playable.
I'm using a 2007 Macbook Pro with SL 10.6.3.

Hi all,

I found that in cxg 10 for mac the mouse still doesn't work. I tried to find a patch for wine and used macports to compile it. But I couldn't find a patch that works.

Can someone help me or tell me the steps to go?

Have you tried copying the files in the post above yours into the steamapps/common/mass effect/ folder?

If that doesn't work, then I guess you'd have to compile them. I'm not sure how to do that on a Mac, but someone else might chip in. You should try the files above first, though.

Yeah most dlls will work even from older versions of wine. But I don't have a mac either.
They change the code layout a bit between releases so I put an updated diff file in this thread along with binaries. Link

Do they not work with the mac version? Again hopefully a mac user can help you out.

Hi,

If anyone needs Mac binaries compiled for this, just yell at me...

Cheers!

Hi,

Yes, I tried the binaries above and doesn't work. Actually even the keyboard doesn't work.

With the patches from the other thread, seems that the code from dlls/winex11.drv/mouse.c is very different from what the patch will change.

Hi Don,

It will be fantastic to upload a workable binaries for cxg 10 for mac :).

Hi,

The OSX builds of these libs can be got from ;

http://rapidshare.com/files/445999253/mass-effect-hack-4-osx.tar.gz

Untested (as I don't own this title), but the build went fine. Let
me know how it goes..

Cheers!

Hi Don,

I tried the binaries and it doesn't run. Mass Effect just dies.

I also tried to compile myself using 2 different ways: using macports and compiling directly. Both ways I can compile successfully, but both have the same result as your binaries.

:(

...somehow, that doesn't surprise me, just because of what that patch is touching - I suppose you've tried emulate virtual desktop? If you'd like to grab a debug log of +dinput,+x11drv,+trace and pop it to rapidshare or the like, post the download url back here, I'd be interested in having a peek - my guess is it's something to do with the OSX display server, I could easily be wrong (bit hard when one does have the app themselves ;) -- could easily be we've trodden on something else (in the crossover tree) that's not part of the wine pure tree -- one should diff the patch against the CXG source tree just to get a feel of that wire...keep me posted...

Cheers!

Hi Don,

I'm not really quite sure how to get the log or debug it. I can create the log using run command "MassEffectLauncher.exe" and adding the "+dinput,+x11drv,+trace". But I can't see anything wrong. Seems like when it calls steam to launch the game, the command ends.

Can you write me a good way to debug it?

Hey,
Thanks for post the pre-compiled dll's. Therefore as I can see it solves the prob only partially the mouse is not fully operable it only allows to relocate with hard efforts also unexpectedly freezes at an unpredictable points. So it is not such cozy. For me it is 10.5.8 under 2.4 GHZ MBP. So how may I figure this out? Maybe by means of most fresher version of directx and override within?

Cheers,

charlyliu wrote:

Hi Don,

I'm not really quite sure how to get the log or debug it. I can
create the log using run command "MassEffectLauncher.exe" and adding
the "+dinput,+x11drv,+trace". But I can't see anything wrong. Seems
like when it calls steam to launch the game, the command ends.

Can you write me a good way to debug it?

Try it again, but:

a) first run that bottle's Steam client, and
b) run the Mass Effect/Binaries/MassEffect.exe directly.

Edit: So, is there a ticket against the mouse bug?

There is a ticket on wine for this Problem. The solution is also clear but at least for Linux it is connected with the new edevelopment of something in X-Window. (xinput2 I believe)
And somehow no one readies the patch.
Id dont know if there is an offical Bug in Crossover, but the codeweavers team should be pretty aware of the Problem.

charlyliu wrote:

Hi Don,

I tried the binaries and it doesn't run. Mass Effect just dies.

I also tried to compile myself using 2 different ways: using
macports and compiling directly. Both ways I can compile
successfully, but both have the same result as your binaries.

:(

Ooops, forgot all about this question - may be a moot point as well ... in any event,
if the masseffect binary is detaching like that, you'll probably need to debug the
Steam.exe binary, then launch the game, and hopefully you'll end up with a more complete
log ... I mention 'moot', because if the patch is actually stopping the title from
launching, the real answer as to why will be in the patch code (my best guess being
the Mac OSX API differs considerably around this area of code versus linux)...

I tried the patch on my Mac running os 10.6.7 and the patching of the two files says failed on some of the hulks and the patches don't work, they don't prevent the game from working but they also don't allow me to click anything with my mouse. lol kinda prevents from playing the game.

nix that my most recent attempt did stop the game from starting.

Don could you try recompiling those two DLLs for crossover 10 and throwing them up someplace? the previous link is dead and I would really like to get this game running BTW please and thank you.

Hi,

Afaik, the patch(es) didn't work on OSX at all ; they only
apply to the linux case...

Cheers!

I thought you had a build done under mac that you couldn't test. Perhaps I was wrong? When I try to compile them I get a bunch of failed hulks/hunks (whatever) So I was thinking I was doing something wrong. Is there any idea as to how to get this working under mac? I got the mouse to be acknowledge by the program by changing Dinput8 to native only. But that isn't a true solution as it doesn't allow 360 degree mouse work. Its so sad that this only works in linux.

A posting above from 'charlyliu' was effectively the test (at that time),
but subsequent to that I bought it when it was on a Steam special and also
tested it - the patchset doesn't work in OSX...

...it's none too flash in linux either I might add, hence the 'bronze' medal
ranking from most of us, so you're really not missing out on much, believe me ;)

As for the patches themselves (or more succinctly, the issues they were trying
to address), they have allegedly been fixed in the latest wine-core (wrt linux
anyway), and the whole code portion these patches are meant for has changed ;
failed hunks doesn't surprise me at all - one would need diff them again, but
more-overly you probably shouldn't be using them at all now. It would be more
worthwhile checking this title against the latest wine-devel branch (or alternately
one of the latest crossover nightly builds), to see how things stand now with the
fixes for winebug-6972 in place and the other wine developments that have rolled in.

Cheers!

Ironically, the game plays (aside from the mouse issue) pretty damn well on my machine. There are a few graphical issues but thats about it. I don't know if the same can be said for linux or if there are issues farther into the game that I'm not reaching.

BTW, I'm advocating this game.

As a related note, this is the thread discussing this bug from the winehq:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16822

There is a solution in there about a hacking of the mousewarp but I don't have any clue how to do such a thing. Anyone know how to do it and have a mac to give it a try?

Here's my understanding of the mouse cursor issues, specifically to Mac OS X. X11 does not use relative co-ordinate system for mouse movement (using the XInput subsystem). So in a fullscreen game, there is no way to know if the mouse moved beyond the boundary of the screen as X11 does not report it. So Wine uses a hack by finding the delta of absolute mouse positions. However, this does not work if the mouse is at the edges of the screen or moves beyond the boundary of the application (in windowed mode). So wine does a mouse warp(forces the pointer to the center of the screen if it goes to the edges of the screen). This is the cause of limited and jagged mouse movements.

XInput 2 (new subsystem) now gives out relative mouse positions, so this should solve all mouse handling problems in Direct3d games. XQuartz 2.6.3(current) does not have this fix. Here's the bug report for it: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/498. The fix is scheduled for the Xquartz 2.7.0 milestone (supposedly in three weeks time).

Hopefully, once Xquartz 2.7.0 is released, this problem disappears.

1 to 39 of 39

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSDRSS3N3eWU2RlVTTTJxVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9