Mass Effect Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Linux CXG 8.1.4 - Mass Effect runs very well but had to compile some patches

As per the post Mouse cursor issues, Mass Effect installed just fine through Steam. And it ran very well, too. I understood from the post that the mouse would be entirely undetected, but movement was okay, as evidenced when I set the option Hardware Mouse to YES (with the keyboard). But the mouse clicks were definitely not detected.

I used the diffs linked in that post, applied them to the wine source, compiled wine, placed the winex11.drv and dinput.dll in the Mass Effect/Binaries folder, and voila! Mass Effect is now running near perfectly.

Here are my patched binaries (compiled for amd64 on a fully-updated Xubuntu Karmic box):

winex11.drv

dinput.dll

I thought about doing a Tips & Tricks about this, because it did take me an hour or so figuring out the little details, but I couldn't see where to create a new Tip & Trick. Am I missing something? Should I bother?

Edit: Oh, I had to click "edit" and then the "add" link appeared. I thought "edit" was for editing the one tip already there :)

Alejandro Moreno wrote:

snip<

I thought about doing a Tips & Tricks about this, because it did
take me an hour or so figuring out the little details, but I
couldn't see where to create a new Tip & Trick. Am I missing
something? Should I bother?

Edit: Oh, I had to click "edit" and then the "add" link appeared. I
thought "edit" was for editing the one tip already there :)

Hi,

Yes, I would do a tip&trick on this, as it's a tad complex/involved and
some many people will like and appreciate the extra details.

Cheers!

i686 binaries and complete instructions in the Tips & Tricks tab.

I played the whole game and I only have three complaints about it.

1. The mouse hack, obviously. Since it's a known hack, I'm hoping that it will go away in the next CXG version.

2. Random game freezes. They don't happen super frequently, but it will annoy the hell out of you when they do. Sometimes it would freeze after one hour of playing, sometimes after 10. I'd say that on average, it freezes about every four hours. The point: save often.

3. One of the mini-missions requires you to gamble; don't bother with it. You can gamble just fine, but don't take on the mission. If you do take on the mission, then don't complete it. If you still decide to complete it, then the "you completed this mission" message will pop up while you're still gambling, and you can keep on gambling; but if you try to quit, the in-game camera will get displaced somewhere outside the building windows. You will be able to pan the camera, but you can't move. It's weird. It must be something about the pop-up that screws with changing the display between gambling and non-gambling, I guess.

Were it not for the mouse hack, I'd upgrade my ranking to Silver.

Edit: I failed to notice that I have 11 "unreal-v3240-[date].dmp" files in my "mass effect/Binaries" folder. If anybody's interested in any of them, just let me know.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVlhIcVR3RlYyNnFDelZIcCIsImdkcHIiOjB9