Mass Effect Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Linux - Mass Effect updated mouse patches

Binaries for CXG 10 (Wine 1.3.9)
dinput.dll
winex11.drv

Diff Patch
masseffect-wine1.3.9.diff

Binaries for CXG 9.2/9.2.1 (Wine 1.2.1)
dinput.dll
winex11.drv

Ok I don't know what I was smoking before but ahem I can compile dlls again.

A nice fellow called Vitaliy Margolen has built a winex11.drv patch that works.
Repeated bashing of head on keyboard lucks out again and the dinput.dll patch works

Both patches merged.
masseffect-wine1.2.diff

Here are linux binaries. CXG 9.1

dinput.dll
winex11.drv

Stick in /Mass Effect/Binaries folder and all is well. I hope.

Thanks, groybe!

I had been hoping to do the same for a while, but time has not been cooperative.

No thank you for all your efforts your tip helped me to start with. It seems you basically live in this place. lol. I'm a newb to linux so this is kind of fun for me learning a little bit.

Say, how good are these patches? As good as before?

I just tried Mass Effect with CXG 9.1, but still with my old winex11.drv and dinput.dll binaries from January 2010. It was perfect.

If your patches produce the same awesome results, I'll merge them. I don't know why I hadn't thought of merging the patches before, but it's obviously the best way to go about it.

Also, which version of wine are the patches for?

Immediate Edit: You seem to patch against a git copy? How do you do that? 😊

Hello again,

There's some nice details on the following wineHQ page...see;

http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting?highlight=%28regression%29

I'll vouch for the accuracy of those guidelines -- I've used the same
methodology to setup a local git clone on both Mac and linux for toying
with/regression testing ...good, wholesome reading for eager minds (8

Cheers!

Perfect! That ought to keep me busy!

Hey I patch 1.2 source from winehq. A git copy would be the most up to date source??
The patch works just as good for me. Discussion here http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971

Edit: Oh I see what you mean Vitaliy is using git when building his patches. lol.

Oh yeah I edited original dinput patch by hand didn't use diff, hence the git thing still in there. I'm not a programmer just a fiddler lol. Basically don't know what I'm doing.

Never used diff before.
Here are both patches together. Compiling now to test.
masseffect-wine1.2.diff

Finally got around to taking a look. Geez, it's huge. 97K for a patch? I thought we only needed a few changes. Let's see ...

Ah, it seems the brunt of it is the inclusion of two entire *.orig files. The patch should work without those. I'll try it.

Edit: Hmm, some hunks failed, probably because I'm using wine 1.2.1. I've patched those hunks by hand. I still have to: a) compile, b) test new binaries, c) generate a new diff if they work. But I won't do it tonight.

I didn't get any failed hunks but here is a new patch without the orig files.

masseffect-wine1.2.1.diff

Compiled on 1.2.1 Seems to be working ok.

Perfect!

I was quite puzzled by the failed hunks, I could not see why they wouldn't work. Maybe it was some sort of whitespace incompatibility, or something.

Thanks for building them again!

I can't get this to work. For some reason i still can't click anything in the game even after throwing both files into the binary file in the mass effect directory. I'm running mac 10.6.7. Is there something different I need to do? btw I'm using wine version 1.3.9

Hi,

The patches don't work in OSX, hence the thread subject (that linux word). In
the other thread in this forum, it says as much. The actual bug the patches address
has been fixed in wine-1.3.20 or so, but I am unsure if that carries for OSX as
well...(you'd need install that/the latest version of wine-devel and see)...

....else, you'd do best to wait for Crossover Games next, when some of these
changes find their way into the crossover builds...

Cheers!

I have a version of crossover and wine that runs 1.3.20 and this bug is still there. Sadly there maybe more going on with the mac side issue than just the patches here address. I'm going to open a ticket on both the winehq and crossover here for it and see what happens.

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSGQ1Y00yY2RURnRVV0VDWSIsImdkcHIiOjB9