Max Payne 2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Getting Max Payne 2 to play

Hello Everyone,

With the latest nightly build I also have Max Payne working.
If you want to try the demo you can get it here:
http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne2/mp2_downloads.html

In the future most of this info will need to go into the known issues & Tips pages, but for now I'll just post it here.

I had to set my resolution to 24bpp or I get a error that I need a DX 9.0 compatible Video Card.

I had to set my sound driver to alsa, If you have sound problems with OSS try the alsa driver.

I also went to the game options and set everything to low. next is to start bumping everything up to medium and see if the game still plays without problems. other than the alsa and 24bpp bumps the game demo plays perfect.

Tom

I can play the demo with everything set to high. The only thing I had to uncheckmark was "mirrors". With that checked you get a D3D error when you click new game from the main menu. Oliver is looking into that issue. I belive he has fixed it, I'll check during the next merge.

Hello!

Max Payne 2 worked with Crossover mac 6.0.1 great, but without sound!

Can anybody help me and know an answer for this problem.

I had installed it with a Windows 2000 bottle. Everything is OK, but no sound!

There is a known issue with this game and sound on the Mac.

O thats great! Will you solve this "problem" or not? It would be very great. I think it is not much work, get the sound working. Everything else functioned great.

PS: Sorryy about my bad english, but i am from austria!

Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Will you solve this "problem" or not? It would be very great. I
think it is not much work, get the sound working.

I believe the problem is that Max Payne 2 requires DirectSound support from our audio driver. Currently, our audio driver only supports the simpler wave-out functionality. We do plan to add DirectSound support to our audio driver, but it is "much work". :) Hopefully, that will fix the sound in Max Payne 2, as well as several other programs.

And when, crossover office mac will support the DirectSound?

It will no happen unfortunately in 6.1. That is too close to release. There is no milestone currently for the next major CrossOver version. Best guess is that it is 6+ months away.

Hi,

I have a potential fix for the lack of audio in Max Payne 2 on the Mac. If you are interested in testing it, please:

) Go to http://dl.codeweavers.com
) Enter access key: coreaudio_test
) Download winecoreaudio.tgz
) If your browser doesn't expand the archive automatically, double-click it to expand it
) Control-click (or right-click) on CrossOver.app and select Show Package Contents
) In the new window, navigate to Contents > SharedSupport > CrossOver > lib > wine
) Renamed the file winecoreaudio.drv.so to something else (like "winecoreaudio.drv.so.backup")
) Move the new winecoreaudio.drv.so from the archive that you downloaded into the "wine" folder

Now see if Max Payne 2 has sound. Let me know what you find.

NOTE: this is test software. It may cause problems -- anything from sound in other programs failing to the inability to launch any Windows programs at all. Only try this if you're comfortable working with untested software. If you need to revert, just trash the new winecoreaudio.drv.so and restore the name of the previous one.

Thanks,
Ken

Yes! It works. The new winecoreaudio solve the problem. I didn't have the chance to see if the others games crash with this new driver.

Thanks a lot for the crossover mac. Hope to see the new version soon.

Julio

Yeah!

It works GREAT!

1 to 11 of 11

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYm44Z0p4dkxlSHprdENLcyIsImdkcHIiOjB9