MDK2 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GOG.com Version - works, but..

I tested out the GOG version on 8.1.3 tonight. This works and runs, but has to be run in a window for it to work. Also, the text is very slow when updating in cutscenes. Otherwise, I had no issues whatsoever using WineCFG and making a Virtual Desktop.

theultimo wrote:

I tested out the GOG version on 8.1.3 tonight. This works and runs,
but has to be run in a window for it to work. Also, the text is
very slow when updating in cutscenes. Otherwise, I had no issues
whatsoever using WineCFG and making a Virtual Desktop.

Hi,

This is consistent behavior for some many GOG (and other) re-releases
of such games -- typically, said games were originally coded for the
then 4:3 aspect display devices in resolutions of 640x480, 800x600,
1024x768 etc, and when run in fullscreen mode in crossover (emulate
a virtual desktop OFF), the game will ask for one of these resolutions
@ 4:3 aspect from your systems X display setup. Of course, these kinds
of resolutions won't be available to the game, if you have a 16:9/10
aspect widescreen monitor, and the game will fail it initialize..

Enabling 'emulate a virtual desktop' mode, presents the game software
with (emulated) 4:3 aspect screenmodes in all the typical resolutions,
and thus the game starts happily.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Cheers!

Just wanted to say that this works fantastically well out of the box in CXG 10.2.1 and OS X 10.6.8 on a 2010 11.6" MacBook Air and a 2006 MacBook...with no extra configuration required. Fullscreen works, as does resolution switching. Early issues with slowed refreshing of the mission intro text was not observed on the MacBook with the graphical options turned down.

As an addendum I wanted to say that this game sadly doesn't work in CrossOver 11 and up on my current machine (MacBook, GMA 950); the game just starts into a black screen. Further testing with Wineskin has shown me that this seems to be an issue with WINE at 1.4 and above.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiazRRc040VnBkY3hncTVwaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9