memoQ Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Memoq 2015 seems to run fine

Ubuntu 15.04.
This version of Memoq got some interface-improvements.
I downloaded memoQ-2015-Setup-55.exe from the Kilgray website, and installed through the tie. At the end, I unselected the box "run program" at the end of the installation.
Everything seems to work fine so far.
At startup, there are some error messages, but it works.
I'm happy because I have never been able to get memoQ-2014 to work.

Almost. It almost works.
I installed it on 2 computers. On one (seemingly same configuration) I get a black middle of the screen. On the other, the screen looks fine. I can register the software with Kilgray servers. I can "check out from server". However, when I click on "check out project", I get an error message, and I can NOT work on the project, making the software unusable. It's a pity, it feels like it is so close. I will experiment with different configs to see if I can make it work anyway. Maybe it is helpful for somebody, here is the error-log from MemoQ itself:

System.NotImplementedException

The method or operation is not implemented.

SOURCE:
MemoQ.Controls

CALL STACK:

Server stack trace: 
   at WMPLib.IWMPSettings.setMode(String bstrMode, Boolean varfMode)
   at MemoQ.Controls.ZenManager.Init()
   at MemoQ.Controls.ZenManager.createInstance()
   at MemoQ.Controls.ZenManager.<.cctor>b__0()
   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()
   at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.UpdateCommandUI()
   at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.OnCloseProject()
   at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.connectServerProjectWithResult(ConnectServerProjectWorker worker)
   at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.ConnectServerProjectWithResult(Boolean readOnlyCheckOut)
   at MemoQ.Application.MemoQApp.OnCheckoutServerProject()
   at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.CommandBinding.Execute()
   at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.WindowManager.DispatchCommand(String id, Object param, Boolean forced)
   at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.WindowManager.DispatchCommand(String id)
   at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.Command.Execute()
   at MemoQ.ApplicationFramework.RibbonBarItemCommandAdapter.HandleUIEvent(Object sender, ItemClickEventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick()
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkClick()
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkActionCore(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.BaseRibbonHandler.OnUnPressItem(DXMouseEventArgs e, RibbonHitInfo hitInfo)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.BaseRibbonHandler.OnUnPress(DXMouseEventArgs e, RibbonHitInfo hitInfo)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.BaseRibbonHandler.OnMouseUp(DXMouseEventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.Handler.RibbonHandler.OnMouseUp(DXMouseEventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.RibbonControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.XtraBars.Ribbon.RibbonControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

It would be great if you forwarded this message to developers, and some of us Mac/Linux MemoQ users should organise to pressure them to, if not port their app to Mono or open source .Net and make it available on non-Windows systems, at least support their app through Crossover/Wine.

I contacted them in Dec. 2015 when I tested MemoQ in CrossOver. Kilgrays response was that they know memoQ doesn't work with Wine or Wine based software. Their support was quite helpful and offered assistance on any problems they could help on but not the Wine related ones.

I ended up doing my project in memoQ on Windows 10 in Parallels and seeing how it worked there I think the problems that occur have something to do with their licensing scheme where they keep machine and OS information connected to the active license. Every single time, Windows 10 had an update, I needed to renew the license by contacting Kilgray...especially bad and a big nuisance when it happened on a weekend where I had to wait until Monday for them to react.

So, despite thinking that memoQ seems the best of the big programs and all of them having similar licensing schemes, I decided I won't buy any program with such restrictions.

I have contacted Killgray in the past, but they said they are a small company and can't support anything but Windows. Memoq performance under crossover/wine has dropped steeply the last few years, but I have no choice but to use the program. If people want to organise and put pressure on them, I'm all for it, but I'm not sure how.

I've never managed to make MemoQ do anything on my Crossover/Mac combo but install and open the welcome window... as soon as I would try doing something, MemoQ would spew an error and crash. I've contacted Kilgray before, since I've been using MemoQ for several years now, and they repeat the same mantra of not being able to support anything but Windows. And I can understand that, but what they can do and what we should petition them to do is support the Windows version of MemoQ through Wine/Crossover. The same thing many other companies have successfully done in the past.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWlF1bU5NYXZ4QllrS0JwOSIsImdkcHIiOjB9