Microsoft Office 2003 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Word 2000 eats a lot of CPU
Anonymous

I'm using a recent version of Cossover Office with Office 2000 under RedHat 9 with 2.4.20SMP kernel. I noticed that one of my CPU's is at 100% utilization when I'm editing a large document in Word. This occurs when the document is open, but I'm not actually sending keystrokes or using the mouse, and goes down when I am actively using the Word aplication. It seems to be stuck in a tight polling loop. Otherwise it seems to be working fine, but it's a little annoying. Any suggestions?

Would it be possible to give some more information about your version of Crossover Office?

Anonymous

CrossOver Office Standard 4.2.

What hardware are you running? CPU Speed, RAM, etc. I have not seen the same isses but it could be the CPU speed or that you have several other un-need processes running.

See the problem with major distros is that they put 4-5 CD of package out. All the average home user needs is a 1 CD install. Your system will run faster and be more secure if you remove un-used packages.

Anonymous

Happens to me with Outlook 2000 (on fedora core 3). I notice I am at 100% cpu but when I click inside the application cpu drops to normal. It's not some other application using the cpu.

I first noticed this in 3.? of crossover office. I have now installed 5.? as a trial and the same thing happens. Obviously it's office related, but what?

if anyone finds an answer please let me know. Thanks.

tech.supp@kpjco.com

kevin.

Anonymous

ok. here's an update. when this occurs wine-server running with a priority of 0 is using 53% of the cpu. Wine-preloader is using 41% of the cpu. This occurs when outlook receives an email and is in the background, ie not the active window.

When I nice the wine-server process to 15 it still tries to take as much cpu as it can get but everything else can run normally and so it doesn't slow everything down.

I can live with that i think. Not being 100% sure how to use the nice command, I will see if I can make the wineserver start with a priority of 10-20.

Kevin James
tech.supp@kpjco.com

Anonymous

OK. Folks. I am stumped. How do I get the winserver process to run at a priority less than 0 when it starts up?

I can manually change it but I want it to happen automagically.

kevin james
tech.supp@kpjco.com

Anonymous

Oops. I seem to be answering my own questions.

It's not starting at zero, it starts at 15. I would think that would be low enough for it not to try to take over the cpu. Since the only app that causes me issues are the microsoft ones, I think it's a good reason for me to stop using them where possible.

kevin.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaEEzWFZ0R0U4QWg2bUNyVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9