Microsoft Office 2003 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

office 2003 more unstable under 9.0/9.1 vs 8.0

I have upgraded from 8.0 to the new 9.1 a few weeks ago. To be sure, I completely un-installed both the WinXp bottle and the ia32-office-pro packages, and re-installed using the newer version. Though some space seems to have been gained in speed, the new version is more unstable with some key features not working:

• PPT: Embedded picture objects, like jpgs/gifs, tables from spreadsheets etc. do not display at all.
  • PPT: Trying to open an embedded spreadsheet freezes the window. Only respite is by "killall" from commandline or "Terminate Windows App" from Crossover menu.
  • DOC: Math equation editor does not work any more.

My system setup: Thinkpad laptop + Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit + OEM MS office 2003 installer (from my employer)

I'd appreciate any help on this. For now, since 8.0 worked fine for my purpose, I have just gone back to it.

I agree that 9.1 is a large step BACKWARDS in stability.
I used Excel and Word under 9.0 with few issues, but moving to 9.1 there are many crashes, mostly related to "save".
I am editing documents that are on my "dropbox" - not sure if that is the issue under 9.1

I have had poor experiences using Powerpoint under all versions of crossover, especially if the file is on Dropbox. When I open a PPT the file size grows from (say) 2 Mb to 3 times that then crashes. The file is then corrupt. Don't use PPT!!

My suggestion is install Crossover 9.0. It's a little slower but it WORKS.

I myself have reverted to using "office for Mac" 2004. Don't like it so much, but it works....

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNTllcmQzM3hMV3NSenBaTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9