Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack for Office 2003 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Compatibility Pack does install and run

Codeweavers is late in updating the CX rating. In fact, the Compatibility Pack is one of the installable applications on 7.1. Check the box that says Show All Dependencies....

I have it installed and running and have used it to open both doc and docx files that contain images and fancy formatting, including backgrounds and borders. I gave up on OpenOffice when it could not open one of the docx files with a background and a border. That is pretty simple. I teach so I need to see exactly what the students are submitting; therefore I am now totally committed to CX Office, and thank goodness for the Compatibility Pack. Office 2007 also runs so I have a choice.

Hi,

I'm using CX 7.1 and can get the program to try and install the "Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel....", but the .exe aborts the installation citing the need for an Windows XP service pack 1 to be installed. Did you run into this problem? If so how did you get around it?

Mike

Only .docx is working. The other formats .xlsx and .pptx are completely unusable.

Opening a .xlsx file in Excel 2003 produced "This file is not in a recognisable format". Opening a .pptx file in Powerpoint 2003 gave "Powerpoint can't read the outline from [filename]. No text converter is installed for this file type".

I installed 7.1, then Office 2003 in the win2000 bottle, and then the dependent Compatibility Pack. My first attempt was to install Office 2000, but it seemed to prefer the win98 bottle - no good at all. Microsoft says the Compatibility Pack requires at least Windows 2000 SP4. I did not try installing Office 2000 in the win2000 bottle because of the "Probably won't work" legend in the Install Software dialog.

I ran Crossover and Word/Excel/Powerpoint 2003 from an xterm and tried opening Office 2007 format documents from within the Office application using the File -> Open dialog. This should have eliminated desktop environment / mime type issues. It was possible to open .docx in Word 2003, like Larry said. If all you need is to read .docx files then go ahead. If you need .xlsx and .pptx in Crossover then you're SOL and the "Known Not To Work" rating is merited. ☹️

I repeated this on CX 9.0.1 on Ubuntu 10 LTS and got the same result. XLSX files do not convert, but the one DOCX file I tried did (hence my bronze rating.)

Given that MS is going to discontinue this converter at the end of CY2010, I'd REALLY like to see it working in order to continue using Office 2003 components.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibXBZQWU4WmVIQ3VWUUgyVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9