Microsoft Office 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Issue resizing office program windows

I've found that if I double click on the title bar of any of the office applications, it maximizes the window as expected, but prevents any further resizing. On applications that I have never double-clicked the title bar to maximize, I'm able to maximize, restore, and resize the windows as expected. However, if I've ever maximized an application window by double clicking the title bar, it can never be restored or resized (I haven't found any workaround to this, either, short of re-installing office). Minimize works as intended in all circumstances.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid). I've tried with compiz and metacity as my windowmanager, with no change depending on which windowmanager I'm using. If I am using compiz, I can use the Expo (Expose) plugin to move the window between desktops but it immediately snaps back to it's old position as soon as it regains focus.

Any thoughts? Any additional information I can provide that will help?

I do have a workaround for this now--if anyone else runs into this problem.

1. Right click the title bar, click restore (or click maximize, then repeat and click restore if the window is already 'restored').
  2. Right click the title bar, click minimize.
  3. Use alt+tab to switch to the window. It should now be resizable (use alt+middle click/drag if you can't resize from the edges).

Ah ha! I got to the root of the problem. This only occurs when you boot up with a single screen configuration and change it to "twinview" or similar after booting. I can't remember exactly how those internals work, but I remember that those two end up in slightly differing behaviour in many applications.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSDhVOGdjVmF4bmFLM05DRSIsImdkcHIiOjB9