Microsoft Office 2007 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

how to installing SP2 for MS Office 2007?

Hello,

Does anyone know how to install SP2 for Office 2007?

Thanks

plucas

Hi,

I just had a look...installation of this service pack is
supported with the new crossover_8.0 release - you will
need to update your crossover installation.

Don

I have installed the new crossover 8.0. Now what? When I click on Help then Check for Updates, a new tab opens in Firefox telling me I must have at least IE 5 installed. Do I have to install IE first before I can install SP2 for Office?

Ahhh...you install the service pack using the crossover installer,
-not- from within the app itself (I'm guessing this is what you're
describing above). See this page ;

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-mac/install-windows#installwizard

So I followed the instructions at the specified location and it downloads the file(s), extracts them, gets about 1/3 of the way through the installation and then pops up a message that installation failed. I'm running Ubuntu 9.04, CX8.0.0 and have MS Office installed into an XP bottle.

Let me know what additional information you require.

By the way, I LOVE your product! I have been off of MS for well over a year now and rarely boot up MS (under virtualbox).

Mark

Now it's becoming strange - you had all the required info,
and it sounds like you were trying to do the right thing.
I note that someone else has posted something similar about
the service packs not installing for MS Office 2007...

Unfortunately, you've reached the end of my experience with
this -- I do not run a Mac nor MS Office 2007 ; I was just
pointing you in the right direction ; what I described
-should- have worked. One of two things will (hopefully)
happen next;

1> someone else running Mac + MS Office + your OS will pick
up on this thread and try to help

2> you submit a support ticket on this issue, to bring it
to the codeweavers devs' attention;

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/

I'm fairly sure that early on in the beta the crossover guys mentioned that for service packs to work you would have to reinstall office 2007 in crossover8 - not use a previously installed version from an older crossover install bottle.

You are correct - in order for the fixes for MS Office in Crossover 8.0 to take effect, MS Office must be installed cleanly in Crossover 8.0. Sorry for the hassle :(

Once installed, select SP1 from the Install Software menu and install it into the same bottle as MS Office 2007, making sure that your original MS Office installation media is mounted. With that complete, repeat with SP2 (also located in the Install Software menu). You won't be able to install SP2 without SP1, first.

I can't install Office 2007 SP1/SP2 neither.

This is the exact sequence of what I have done:

1. Installed Crossover Office 8.0
  2. Installed Office 2007 Enterprise into a new bottle (only Word, Excel and Powerpoint)
  3. Directly installed Office 2007 SP1 (i.e. without ever starting any Office application)

I have put my installation log file here:
Office 2007 SP1 Installation log file

Please understand that this is not an official support chain. It would be best if you could open a support ticket for this issue or send an email to info AT codeweavers.com

That being said...

Can you check the version on your Office applications to see if it has indeed changed to SP1? Sometimes Enterprise editions give a 'fail' even though the service pack applies. This is a known issue that we would like to investigate further (but our developers prefer to work on these issues through our ticket system).

If the version has not changed, did you leave your Enterprise disk in the drive or leave the iso mounted for the installation of sp1?

If you did a custom install... (your post says only Word, Excel and Powerpoint) you may need to reinstall. CrossOver has a hard time with custom installs and many times just installs the entire office suite regardless of what you select... in other scenarios it does an incomplete install because it doesn't know what to do with the 'custom' commands.

The above are the things we would ask upon you writing in. So, if you are still experiencing problems, please open a support ticket (we don't want you to get lost in the shuffle or think we aren't concerned over what you are seeing) and include the answers to the above questions along with any information you can provide us with on the 'Enterprise Edition' that you have.

NOTE: Enterprise Edition means an edition made for a corporate license or multi-license environment.
[b]
Translation: [/b]There are thousands of variances, flavours and combinations that can occur from one Enterprise Edition to the next. This means that any edition experiencing problems is one that we must specifically address (and will be glad to do so because it helps us and you!).

I have (partially) good news: I did a default installation of Office 2007 (Enterprise) and could then successfully install SP1. Installation of SP2 on top of SP1 crashes.

Just to share how I've installed SP2 in M$ Office 2007 enterprise and clarify what should you expect:
-you have to create new fresh XP bottle with CXoffice8.0 for Office 2007
-don't activate Office 2007 at the beginning but leave it as the last task (once you have your SP2)
-you have to run standard installation (custom will fail during SP installation)
-you have to install SP1, then SP2
-SP2 will fail installation process, but it might be a false message (to confirm you have SP2, open any Office 2007 application N.B in "MS Word" go to-> "Word Options"->Resources->About

Great! Thanks dariusz21p. I'll try to do is your way.

I was able to install Office 2007 SP1 (even if it said that the installation had failed), but after a reboot, when I started Word (for example), it takes way too long to start, and when it did it said that Word couldn't read "Normal.dotm" (I'm not sure about the extension, but it was something like that). After that, it worked very good.

But this was once I did a clean installation, cause restoring an archived Office would make every Office App say after a long start up, "this program was not installed for this user" and close.

Anyway, I'll post later if this worked for me. But I'm very confident it will due to my experience and how Office has behaved in CO 8 and the previous nightly builds. So you should post this installation method in the "Tips & Tricks" section of Office 2007 SP1 or Word 2007.

Hello, I just wanted to add onto this thread. I was able to successfully install office 2007 professional, SP1 and then SP2 without issue using crossover 8.0 standard. to re-iterate what's been mentioned in this thread, here's what I did:

-fresh xp bottle
-used cd install of office 2007 professional (I tried enterprise edition previously, custom install and that fell on its face.. all I cared about is word 2007 and outlook 2007)
-did standard installation, not custom install.
-when it asked for the CD key at the beginning of the install, I made sure to give the key at that time. I tried once doing the key after install but it never took.
-after successful install of office 2007 base, chose to install SP1 immediately afterwards, let Crossover download and install. Success.
-after SP1 install, did immediate install of SP2 (again, letting crossover do the download). success again.

ran outlook and word to verify SP2 had applied, everything was good. the only thing i notice is outlook 2007 is a bit of a memory hog running under crossover (this is on ubuntu 9.04, btw) taking about 100-180mb while idle. I'm guessing this is due to overhead of being ran inside of crossover (running natively under vista, memory usage of outlook was around 50mb). but i digress.

hope this info helps other users.

-ryan

Ryan,

You wrote:

-after successful install of office 2007 base, chose to install SP1 immediately afterwards, let Crossover download and install. Success.
-after SP1 install, did immediate install of SP2 (again, letting crossover do the download). success again.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but i cannot seem to find a way to "let crossover do the download". If you don't mind, could you please give more specific directions?

Using Crossover, I am able to install Office 2007 from the DVD without a problem. I downloaded SP2 from the Microsoft site to my Downloads folder and tried to install it from there using Crossover (to the same bottle), but it failed.

I am using a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.5.7 and I am using CrossOver Version 8.0.1 (8.0.0). I have the demo version right now. If I can just get SP2 installed, I will buy the product. I need to print PDFs from PowerPoint 2007 because it compresses them so well while maintaining proper formatting.

Thank you,
Rich

'Sorry if this is a silly question, but i cannot seem to find a way to "let crossover do the download". If you don't mind, could you please give more specific directions?'

If you have more than one bottle, try going to Configure->Manage Bottles, select the bottle you installed to, go to Applications and select Install Software from there. Only way I could find to make Office 2007 show up as installed... may be as it's the ultimate edition or something.

Hello Jack, I am totally clueless to windows. I am a mac user. I installed MS Office 2007 for my wife in Crossover 9.0. It works beautifully, no problems whatsoever. So, is it necessary for me to install this so call service pack1 and 2.

1 to 17 of 17

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRm5NSnZuS2JkZ0ZWWlVhdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9