Microsoft Office 2010 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Cannot resize Excel window

I am unable to resize an Excel window. I can alternate between full screen and not full screen, but actually resizing the window is not possible (the mouse doesn't change cursor at the borders). In addition, I cannot move the non-maximized window. It just sits taking up 3/4 of my primary monitor. Otherwise, the spreadsheet seems to work as intended.

Office 2010, Ubuntu 13.10, Crossover 13.0.1

Is lib32-compisite installed?

Same problem here.

Where would I get lib32-compisite from, how do I verify that I have it ?

I'm on Ubuntu 13.10.

I tried installing libxcomposite1:i386 but it seems to be installed already.

I'm having the same problem as well. I'm running 64-bit OpenSuSE 13.1. I have a three vertical monitor setup, and when I first open MS Word, it spans across all three screens, though not completely (goes from the middle of the left screen to the middle of the right screen, and only extends down about halfway. At any rate, when I FIRST open it and the window is this size, I CAN resize it and move it around. However, as soon as I maximize it, I lose that ability. Maximizing it sometimes snaps to the size of one of the screens, but sometimes not. I can not move it to another screen once it is maximized either, which I can do just fine with any other running program. If I then proceed to unmaximize (restore) it again, it can no longer be either resized or moved like I could do earlier. At this point, I ALSO lose the ability to maximize once again (it's like it things that it's still maximized at this point - if I right-click on the top bar of the window, it still gives me the option to restore (which does nothing), and the maximize option is greyed out).

I tried installing libXcomposite1-32bit, hoping that's the package you were referring to in the previous post, but of course that did nothing.

Upgrading to the newest Crossover Office 13.1.0 (which also installed libXcursor1-32bit) did not fix it. Now, it does open snapped to full screen on just one monitor, which is great. Unfortunately, I can not move it to another monitor. It doesn't move at all as long as it's maximized. It seems that once you unmaximize (restore) it, it still thinks that it's still maximized, as the "maximize" option is still greyed out when right-clicking on the title bar while the "restore" option is still visible, which of course does nothing since it's already not maximized.

Interestingly enough, setting a global keyboard shortcut (I'm using KDE) for "Maximize Window" under the KWin component makes it behave exactly how it should. I can now maximize and unmaximize with that shortcut just fine, move around, resize, remaximize.. just how it should behave. I'd much rather use the mouse for this purpose, but at least now it works fine. Seems that the problem is really that when you unmaximize (restore) with the mouse, the window simply does not know that it is no longer maximized. With the keyboard shortcut, it knows.

Same problem here.
Workarounds I found:

• The window can be moved when the ALT-key is pressed
  • When using the resize option from the window-bar (right click on the entry) resizing is possible

Does it work correctly for anyone?

I am having the same issue with Word. Worked around the issue by Launching Wine configuration, then going to the Graphics tab and checking the box "Emulate a virtual desktop".

That probably isn't going to work well for everyone, and it won't really let you easily switch from full screen to windowed. It at least gives you a way to move the Office application window around a larger screen, however.

Same problem here. I get the resize icon when I move the mouse to the corners of the window, but it doesn't do anything.

I got it working by unchecking the "window manager can control windows" checkbox.

Starting the Manage Bottles panel, going to the Control Panel, launching the "wine configuration" going to the Graphics tab in the popup and unchecking "Allow the window manager to control windows" also worked for me. KDE, 4.6, Ubuntu 14.10, MS Office 7.

Thank you. The mods of this forum should delete this reply, and every post except the original post and the above reply.

guisar wrote:

Starting the Manage Bottles panel, going to the Control Panel,
launching the "wine configuration" going to the Graphics tab in the
popup and unchecking "Allow the window manager to control windows"
also worked for me. KDE, 4.6, Ubuntu 14.10, MS Office 7.

Works after a fashion, but leaves office window on top at all times. The better abswer (under KDE, I assume there is something similar for other desktops) is this:

What works for me with Word, Excel and Powerpoint is:

Start System Settings  
Select Window Behaviour  
Select Window Rules  
Click "New..." to create a new Window Rules  
Enter the description  
Window Class: Regular Expression. I use .*\b(winword.exe|excel.exe|powerpnt.exe)\b.*  
Check "Match whole window class"  
Check on tab "Size & Position"  
Check "Full screen": value Forced, No  
Check "Ignore Requested Geometry": value Forced, Yes

Taken from WineHQ, so not my own work!

1 to 13 of 13

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRUp3UHpzWmdZdUVzNWE4ciIsImdkcHIiOjB9