Microsoft Office 2010 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Guide for adding Language Packs to Office 2010

Hi, I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to add this guide to Tips and Tricks, but probably forum moderators can do that.

Please note, this method is for Office 2010 and not for prior versions.

I faced various errors installing Language packs, therefore after lot's of experimenting I'm sharing a step-by-step guide how to do it.

1) install Office 2010 as first - you will have to choose Windows XP bottle as for some reason Crossover does not allow Windows 7 to be chosen.

2) download Language Packs from MS > these will download in a form of .exe > do NOT extract the content of these .exe files

3) run the 'Wine Configurator' from bootle's Control Panel section and change Windows version to 'Windows 7'
please note, this step is crucial, as otherwise the install of language packs will fail and may damage your Office installation

4) install the Language Pack to your existing bottle by choosing 'Other Application' Unsupported App) from the end of the list
after the installation it will ask you to restart windows. click not now... instead run the 'Simulate Reboot' from Control Panels of your bottle

5) repeat step '4' if you want to add more Language Packs

6) this step is optional. I personally find my Word to run in one of the additional Languages that I installed and not in English.
I'm quite sure it was English after the initial installation. Also I could not change it back to English.

• change Windows version back to Windows XP
  • repeat step 1 - this time it will recognize that it's already installed, choose 'Add or Remove Features', no need to change anything just click 'Continue'
  • again, it will ask for reboot, click not now... and instead run the 'Simulate Reboot' from Control Panels of your bottle
  • run Word, and change the default language back to English here: File / Options / Language ..

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiS1BFYVB5cWVrZ1V6cFBxQSIsImdkcHIiOjB9