Microsoft Office 2010 Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office 2010 window resizing problem revisited

I would like to ask if anyone else has window placement / resizing problems using CO 18.5 in KDE Plasma.

My problem is essentially the same described here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/microsoft-office-2010?msg=157908

and here:

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20006

i.e. I cannot move the window using the title bar, resize the application window or get it to toggle between maximised / windowed mode.

Please note that usually the Office application behaves properly until the "maximise" button is pressed, after which the problems begin. If the application window starts thinking it's maximised in some fashion due to it being closed in the maximised state, the problems start without any further action.

I have tried the following. Some actions result in some sort of solution, but never in an ideal one:

a) Ticked the "create virtual desktop" option in Wine configuration. Result: Office (and winecfg) does not start at all.
b) Unchecked the "allow window manager to manage windows". Result: Office window behaves as expected, but stays always on top and minimising causes the icon to altogether disappear from the task bar, so the window cannot be opened again (not even with the task switcher)
c) Applied the solution described in the links above, i.e. forcing the window to ignore the requested geometry and disabling full screen. Result: Proper window behaviour, but when objects (such as a text box) are moved inside the window, the semi-transparent overlay showing where the object is going to be moved does not appear at the cursor position, but is offset by several pixels. This makes accurate object placement within the application window using the mouse practically impossible.

I usually work with the default behaviour and use KWin's shortcuts (Alt + Left Click to move the window, Alt + Right Click to resize), but I would prefer it if the window behaved properly out of the box.

I am using KDE 5.12 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. The problem has been there for almost forever in KDE 5 as far back as I can remember.

Has anyone found a solution that makes the window behave as expected?

If the problem lies with KWin's management of the window (and cannot be fixed from CW's side), perhaps it would be worth noting it in the Tips & Tricks section so that users are aware of the issue.

I would be happy to post a bug report if that would help.

Thanks,

Angelos

I'm not sure if this is related, but the newest versions of KDE have a VERY annoying behaviour: when VERTICALLY maximized, they get stuck, they won't move by draggin the title bar and won't allow resizing (though you can still ALT + drag). I was unable to disable this behaviour, if you find out how, please let me know! 😉

Dear Angelos,

unfortunately this bug has a long history and still no real solution.
I had this bug on KDE on Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 as well as 18.04.

I opened a support ticket for this back in 2015 but the help was quite limited.

Regards,
Thimo

Update for crossover 19.0.0:
Unfortunately I removed Office 2010 some time ago, but newer versions suffered from the same issue.
At least for 2013, 2016, 365 this seems to work, now. 😊

Solution is in the first link that you posted:

" Start System Settings
Select Window Behaviour
Select Window Rules
Click "New..." to create a new Window Rules
Enter the description
Window Class: Regular Expression. I use .\b(winword.exe|excel.exe|powerpnt.exe)\b.
Check "Match whole window class"
Check on tab "Size & Position"
Check "Full screen": value Forced, No
Check "Ignore Requested Geometry": value Forced, Yes"

Works like a charm in Ubuntu 19.10 and opensuse 15.1

If you want a clean and perfect experience with office,that works out of the box. Use the XFCE's default window manager xfwm4. This window manager solves all issues from resizing problems to focus problems.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVmRtRnhoaFJiS05lYWdIUiIsImdkcHIiOjB9