Microsoft Office 2016

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Reply to Thread Back to Threads

Installing Office 2016 on Crossover 17
Terin Stock
Posted 2017-12-06 13:50
I've given installing Office 2016 into a new bottle, using the installer helper, and the Offline Installer downloaded from the Microsoft site. The dependencies install fine, however the Office 2016 installer stops with an error: "We're sorry, we had a problem installing your Office program(s)" before I reach any level of interactivity. I've restarted the installation by pointing the Run Command dialog to Setup.exe directly, with no improvement. The log files don't suggest any issues.

For those that got it installed, did you need to install anything on the Linux side to make it go?
Michael Fox
Michael Fox
Posted 2017-12-06 14:37
I didn't have this problem, and I didn't install anything extra. Did you download the 32 bit (x86) version; I think you have to to get this to work on Crossover. Note, however, that my version is the corporate version distributed by my university, and the installer file is an x86 version that starts up on Crossover and then downloads the actual office program from the Microsoft server.
Paul Kaplan
Posted 2017-12-11 11:27
Were you successful at installing O2016?  Please post dependencies or solutions.
Thanks
Marco Frailis
Posted 2017-12-14 05:01
Yes, installation was successful. I downloaded the office 2016 installer from my Microsoft account (i.e. from https://portal.office.com) and then used the installer with Crossover 17.0.0 and everything was fine.

You can retrieve here a sample document:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iirr7qvkp6mu0lv/TestDocument.docx?dl=0

And in the following screenshot, you can see how it is rendered in my system:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/as55zacl0weh7zx/Word2016Ubuntu17.10.png?dl=0
Paul Kaplan
Posted 2017-12-14 21:07
But that doesn't answer the OP's and my question.  Both of us are unable to install Office 2016; the Office 2016 installer stops with an error: "We're sorry, we had a problem installing your Office program(s)" before reaching any level of interactivity.

In my case, I used the crossover deb file to install CX17 onto Kubuntu 17.10.  A previous installation of Office 2010 works fine under CX17.  What have you done differently?  Why is your installation successful?
Joachim Selke
Posted 2017-12-19 17:35
I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it. There seemed to be a connection to the Linux driver for my Nvidia graphics card. After uninstalling the proprietary Nvidia driver (and using the Nouveau driver instead), the Office 2016 installation finished successfully. After this, I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and did not encounter any further problems.
Grzegorz Budny
Posted 2017-12-29 11:51
I think it has something to do with the RAM because I did not have any issues with the installation process of Office 2016 on Linux/Mac on my old Mac Mini (4GB RAM).

However, I decided to make some changes, and now I have 10 GB of RAM in my Mac Mini, and I noticed the similar issue with the installation process on Ubuntu/Mac OS X.

I hope they can fix it.
Alan Cone
Posted 2018-01-18 13:10
Joachim Selke Posted:
I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it. There seemed to be a connection to the Linux driver for my Nvidia graphics card. After uninstalling the proprietary Nvidia driver (and using the Nouveau driver instead), the Office 2016 installation finished successfully. After this, I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and did not encounter any further problems.

This is what I had to do and it worked perfectly. I used the  Debian instructions for uninstalling Nvidia and reinstalling Nouveau. Then I installed Office 2016 from the Click-to-Run executable (got an error saying something went wrong at 74%, however I didn't touch it and the install finished and Office could be used), then reinstalled proprietary drivers as I had done before.
Cheng-Chia Tseng
Posted 2018-01-21 19:43
Cannot install Office 2016 either. My platform is Crossover 17 on Fedora 27.
I downloaded the traditional Chinese version of the .img file from Microsoft website (stores.office.com) and burnt it into DVD. (The installation method with ms-windows-store:// URL don't work with CrossOver.)

I started CrossOver 17 to install MS Office 2016 from DVD.
However, the installation process failed. It shows "很抱歉,發生問題。" which means "Sorry, problem occurred." in English.

So sad that CrossOver cannot work.
Blake Douglas
Blake Douglas Advocate
Posted 2018-01-21 22:41
Cheng-Chia Tseng Posted:
Cannot install Office 2016 either. My platform is Crossover 17 on Fedora 27.
I downloaded the traditional Chinese version of the .img file from Microsoft website (stores.office.com) and burnt it into DVD. (The installation method with ms-windows-store:// URL don't work with CrossOver.)

I started CrossOver 17 to install MS Office 2016 from DVD.
However, the installation process failed. It shows "很抱歉,發生問題。" which means "Sorry, problem occurred." in English.

So sad that CrossOver cannot work.

Hi,

The installation methods that work are documented in the install tip, please could you review and retry?
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/tips/microsoft-office-2016/how-to-install
David Crown
Posted 2018-01-23 10:56
unfortunately, Microsoft click to run isn't avail for volume licence customes
Anthony Kamau
Posted 2018-01-27 00:18
I too have tried to install following instructions at Office 2016 - How to Install.

Can someone from Crossover please post a YouTube video detailing how they installed this on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?  This will clear up a whole lot of confusion going around!

I see mention that maybe having too much RAM could be the cause while there's also mention of Nvidia proprietary drivers - I suffer from both and would prefer to not downgrade either.  Also, took a long time to get Nvidia sorted; would really prefer not to downgrade to Nouveau drivers.
Hana Pagel
Hana Pagel  Staff Member
Posted 2018-02-06 12:57
Hello all,

We have just released CrossOver 17.1 for macOS and Linux, which includes critical bug fixes for Office 2016 installation. If you have experienced problems installing Office 2016, please upgrade to 17.1 here (https://www.codeweavers.com/CX171) or contact our support team for more information.

Thank you for your patience as we have worked to resolve this issue.

Hana
CodeWeavers
Terin Stock
Posted 2018-02-07 09:42
I can install from the ISO on 17.1.0, but launching any of the main applications simply results in a black or corrupted screen.
Anna Lasky
Anna Lasky  Staff Member
Posted 2018-02-07 10:30
If you are running a Linux system, make sure you have the correct libxcomposite library installed.  If you are not sure of the correct library name for your distro, here is a reference guide.  If you are still having trouble, there are many different installers, types of accounts, etc. associated with Office 2016.  Please feel free to contact support at  info@codeweavers.com so that we can get more details about your problem.  
Eric Fanning
Posted 2018-05-10 08:12
If I may jump in here, I'm also having issues installing Office 2016.  When I try to run the downloaded setup file, the orange Office 2016 box pops up saying "We're getting things ready" and just spins there.  If I completely close out of Crossover, it still sits there and have to reboot to get rid of it.  

I've also tried creating the setup.bat with the config file and that does not work either.  I see a command window open then immediately close and says it completed successfully but there are no applications to run.

What am I doing wrong?  Running openSUSE Leap 42.3

Thanks for your help
Dimitrios Ntarlagiannis
Posted 2018-05-10 09:40
Finally success in activation for volume users; I could always install the university provided installer (works fine) but could not activate.
If you have a business/university office license:
create a firefox 20 bottle;
open firefox and go to portal.office.com and download the online installer
start a brand new bottle for microsoft office 2016
select the file downloaded
proceed with installation
once complete, start one office application and log in with your business/university account
the software is activated

choose the 32bit version
Sung Yoon
Posted 2018-05-13 12:40
You need 3 files.
save below in a file "download.bat"

setup.exe /download cx_config_32.xml

save below in a file "install.bat"

setup.exe /configure cx_config_32.xml

save below as cx_config_32.xml

<!-- Office 365 client configuration file sample. To be used for Office 365 ProPlus 2016 apps,
    Office 365 Business 2016 apps, Project Pro for Office 365 and Visio Pro for Office 365.

For detailed information regarding configuration options visit: http://aka.ms/ODT.
    To use the configuration file be sure to remove the comments

For Office 365 client apps (verion 2013) you will need to use the 2013 version of the
    Office Deployment Tool which can be downloaded from http://aka.ms/ODT2013

The following sample allows you to download and install Office 365 ProPlus 2016 apps
    and Visio Pro for Office 365 directly from the Office CDN using the Current Branch
    settings  -->

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Branch="Current">
   <Product ID="ProPlusRetail">
     <Language ID="en-us" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="InfoPath" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Project" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="SharePointDesigner" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
     <ExcludeApp ID="Visio" />
   </Product>
 </Add>

<!--  <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Branch="Current" /> -->

<!--  <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />  -->

<!--  <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />  -->

</Configuration>

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

Please Wait...
eyJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNTI1ODk4MDg2fQ==